Craving SOS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Started a batch today. I used Bear's guidelines. I am curing it like I do buckboard bacon where I add a small bit of water to the cure so the curing ingredients mix better. I use PP#1 instead of TQ and use the proper amount for the change in curing salt (PP#1 is 1 tsp, or 6 grams, per 5 lbs of meat, water, and in this case, dark brown sugar). Double sealed in Ziplocks. I'll flip it one or more times daily.

Now the waiting begins.

I bought some Hormel dried beef the other day and haven't used it yet. Probably a mistake. It was basically ground beef that was seasoned and dried.

I saw that Ray. Good luck! I have not decided how I will tackle but leaning on Omak style for the cure part. I need to ask. Why do they call it "dried beef"? Because of the dry cure or do some folks dry it out? The stuff my Dad from the store seems like it was dried kinda like half way tasting like jerky. Curious what you guys think.

I saw that Ray. Good luck! I have not decided how I will tackle but leaning on Omak style for the cure part. I need to ask. Why do they call it "dried beef"? Because of the dry cure or do some folks dry it out? The stuff my Dad from the store seems like it was dried kinda like half way tasting like jerky. Curious what you guys think.

Most Dried Beef is dried a lot more than I do mine, which is why they call it Dried Beef.
I leave a little moisture in mine, because My favorite way to use it is on 2 slices of fresh bread with American Cheese, with Miracle Whip.
If the Dried Beef is too Dry, it dries the Bread so much it seems like it's 3 weeks Stale Bread!!! Mrs Bear used to pack too of those Sammies in my Lunch Box, for work, and Man after 6 hours in the Box, were they ever dried out !!!!

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
I bought some Hormel dried beef the other day and haven't used it yet. Probably a mistake. It was basically ground beef that was seasoned and dried.

Yeah, I made SOS using the stuff mentioned above. It was close to the correct flavor, but no where near the correct texture. Pretty dang salty, too. Only semi-satisfying, and not picture worthy. I do not condone its use.

Which brings us to today. After a week's worth of poor health, I needed to cook the meat I had been flipping every day in the fridge. I cheated and used the oven because that's all I had the energy to do. 10 hours total. 170F to start, bumping up every few hours by 15F to wind up at 215F. Final IT was 154F in both pieces.

After an overnight in the fridge, I'm going to shred this with a food processor to get a consistency I remember. This was NOT salty at all, which I like.

Round Two of SOS coming soon! BTW, I cut the top round roast in half before curing and drying. The pic below is all external surface. Sure is pretty!

20210707_190509.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky