Cowboy Steaks from Prime Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I checked the meat aisle at Winco yesterday on a quick run to the grocery store. Choice Grade Prime Rib roasts @ $6.98/lb; Select Grade @ $5.98/lb. On closer examination, the only real difference between the two grades was a thicker mid-muscle fat seam. The intramuscular marbling looked identical. I picked up a 7.89 lb Select Grade (3 bone) and cut it into three cowboy steaks this morning. Vac-sealed them and into the freezer.

I've bought both the Choice and Select Grades in the past and didn't notice any difference once dry brined and grilled. Always tender and delicious. One steak will keep my wife and I smiling for two meals each.

20211223_082553.jpg

Look nice! They $4.97 here. Where a couple really good ones but freezer loaded with ribeyes and still have half roast from last year. I actually passed up a sale. Got a ton of pecans going to half to figure out how to get in one of the 3 freezers.

Look nice! They $4.97 here. Where a couple really good ones but freezer loaded with ribeyes and still have half roast from last year. I actually passed up a sale. Got a ton of pecans going to half to figure out how to get in one of the 3 freezers.
Hahaha, Brian, I got you beat...I have 4 freezers. 3 for food and 1 for bait for crabbing, and fishing that is loaded with squid, anchovies, herring, Spanish mackerel, tuna heads and salmon roe and salmon heads.
And one for fish and wild game meat that is loaded with duck, geese, buffalo, moose, elk, wild hog, meat salmon, halibut, bluefin & albacore tuna loins & steaks.

Them steaks look great! Great to get 2 meals out of them...my wife and I are the same way. But I sure miss the days I could down one myself in one sitting!

Ryan

Reactions: noboundaries
Thanks, all. Will be after the holidays. My wife is off helping with a new granddaughter, and I made the mistake of sending her (my wife, not the baby) the pic, too. 20/20 hindsight. Might be our New Year's feast, depending when she's coming home.

I checked the meat aisle at Winco yesterday on a quick run to the grocery store. Choice Grade Prime Rib roasts @ $6.98/lb; Select Grade @ $5.98/lb. On closer examination, the only real difference between the two grades was a thicker mid-muscle fat seam. The intramuscular marbling looked identical. I picked up a 7.89 lb Select Grade (3 bone) and cut it into three cowboy steaks this morning. Vac-sealed them and into the freezer.

I've bought both the Choice and Select Grades in the past and didn't notice any difference once dry brined and grilled. Always tender and delicious. One steak will keep my wife and I smiling for two meals each.

View attachment 519761
thar's some eatin'...

Reactions: noboundaries
I bought a whole 7 bone Angus Choice standing rib roast, that was not boned & tied. The total weight was 19lbs! I cut it into 7 steaks, each one is about 3” thick, and each one has a bone. Cooked one the day we bought it over an oak fire. Looking forward to eating the other six.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky