Cowboy Steaks from Prime Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Umm sounds like I need to go shopping......again. I'll smoke the one I already have and make some steaks out of the other !
Great idea

Reactions: noboundaries
The Brine?

Rick
Happy Christmas Eve, Rick.

I dry brine with a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning and Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. Wrap tightly in cling wrap or vac seal. Then overnight in the fridge.

If you only have a couple hours, skip the MSS and the Adolph's. Buy a FRESH pineapple (canned won't work), blend the top third, including the skin, put the steak in a Ziplock, add the pineapple from the blender, squeeze out the air, and stick in the fridge for no more than 4 hours. 2 hrs works best IMO.

Then completely rinse off the pineapple, pat dry, and season with MSS. You won't taste the pineapple at all. The bromelain enzyme in a fresh pineapple, especially the skin, is a powerful meat tenderizer that will turn the meat to mush if left too long.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
Awesome tips, noboundaries noboundaries . I picked up one more roast at HEB just now for $3.88/lb. Into the freezer for a nap!

Merry Christmas!
$3.88/lb is a STEAL! I generally see the grocers drop the price by only a $1/lb after Christmas. Will be going by the store myself after Christmas to pick up another if they have any left.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Cody!

Ray

$3.88/lb is a STEAL! I generally see the grocers drop the price by only a $1/lb after Christmas. Will be going by the store myself after Christmas to pick up another if they have any left.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Cody!

Ray
Yessir! I should have bought three or four of these this week. I did buy one other and we had it Tuesday night when our daughter and gang was here. And now if I get that SV for Christmas I'm gonna really regret not buying more.

Our HEB generally has good prices on rib roast at Christmas. Last year it was $9.99 for Prime, and with price increases this year it is $15.99 for same!

They also had butt roast this week for $0.88/lb, and I did snag two of those!

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ray!

Rick

Thanks, all. Will be after the holidays. My wife is off helping with a new granddaughter, and I made the mistake of sending her (my wife, not the baby) the pic, too. 20/20 hindsight. Might be our New Year's feast, depending when she's coming home.
Same here. Had gotten a leg of lamb and a small 2-bone rib roast on sale, and was debating between which for last night and which to save. Lamb won (or lost, depending on your point of view 😁)

Also WRT the beef, debating roasting or halving for steaks on NYE. Since I’ll have to freeze either way, going with steaks. Think a combination of smoke>SV>sear, but that’s another thread next week.

Merry Christmas, all !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky