Covid Vaccine ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a text message from the Nashville VA yesterday informing me they are now giving vaccines to enrolled veterans and caregivers of any age now on a walk in first come first served basis. Pretty cool as my wife is my certified caregiver. We thought it would be months before we could get one. Gonna go in the next few days. We are supposed to get severe weather and tornadoes today and tomorrow so not standing in a line outside lol

I also received a text message a few days ago from the VA facility that I'm registered at, Hines in suburban Chicago, about the same subject, along with an email and recorded phone message, all at the same time. In my messages, however, they stated that it was by prior appointment only., not first come, first served. The messages also asked that, if I already received the immunizations elsewhere outside of the VA system, which I had, to notify the the office of the primary car physician that I'm assigned to so that they could update their records.

All of my health care needs are taken care in the private sector outside of the VA system but I registered with the VA a few years ago as a backup and, on a couple occasions, that's worked out well for me. I decided to contact the PCP's office anyway, and when to speaking to his nurse I asked why why they decided to to open the immunization program to all ages. Her response was that, system-wide, the VA had experienced a vey high degree of reluctance, or even distrust, of the vaccine with vets over the age of 60. Thus, rather than tossing , or even having their allocated dosages reduced, they decided to go all in. I found that interesting, but also ironic and kind of disturbing that so many very high-risk people would take that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
I also received a text message a few days ago from the VA facility that I'm registered at, Hines in suburban Chicago, about the same subject, along with an email and recorded phone message, all at the same time. In my messages, however, they stated that it was by prior appointment only., not first come, first served. The messages also asked that, if I already received the immunizations elsewhere outside of the VA system, which I had, to notify the the office of the primary car physician that I'm assigned to so that they could update their records.

All of my health care needs are taken care in the private sector outside of the VA system but I registered with the VA a few years ago as a backup and, on a couple occasions, that's worked out well for me. I decided to contact the PCP's office anyway, and when to speaking to his nurse I asked why why they decided to to open the immunization program to all ages. Her response was that, system-wide, the VA had experienced a vey high degree of reluctance, or even distrust, of the vaccine with vets over the age of 60. Thus, rather than tossing , or even having their allocated dosages reduced, they decided to go all in. I found that interesting, but also ironic and kind of disturbing that so many very high-risk people would take that position.
In my experience I'd say it's mistrust in the va and probably not the vaccine itself

Got mine a couple of days ago, AstraZeneca. Woke up in the middle of the night with the worst case of the chills that I have ever experienced in my life. Lasted for a couple of minutes and was done. Wife was teasing me “Reverse Hot flash” she called it. She had zero side effects.

Thanks for the kind words Bear,
Actually, you just reminded me to re-spool some new line on one of my Salmon reels.
Will say though that today woke up with pain in my arm after yesterday's 2nd shot. But!!! not painful enough to prevent me from cold smoking some more Albacore. Phew!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
I got a little feedback from my M.D. friends on the Pfizer/Biontech and Moderna vaccines...

They also told me this is all "New Science" so they are still learning on the fly...

So - IN GENERAL - (subject to change) - What they think they know now...
  • If you have had the Kung-Flu in the past, it is likely the first vaccination will have the biggest side effect because your body already has antibodies and they will attack the first vaccine - hence more side effects at first vac.
  • If you have not had the Kung-Flu in the past, you are more likely to have a bigger reaction with the second vaccination because the first vac created the antibodies which will now attack the second vac.

In my experience I'd say it's mistrust in the va and probably not the vaccine itself

Good point, and one I had not thought of.

As I mentioned, I've only used the VA system at Hines in Chicago as a backup in a couple situations for specific, but non-threatening, situations that I felt I needed somewhat immediate care but was having difficulty with extended appointment wait times with my private sector providers. One situation occurred around 3 years ago, and the other about 18 months ago. There were also a couple visits with my VA PCP for full exams and blood work. Overall, I'd rate my very limited experience with the VA system as excellent. Others who have had much more experience with the VA system than I have had may think otherwise.

I got a little feedback from my M.D. friends on the Pfizer/Biontech and Moderna vaccines...

They also told me this is all "New Science" so they are still learning on the fly...

So - IN GENERAL - (subject to change) - What they think they know now...
  • If you have had the Kung-Flu in the past, it is likely the first vaccination will have the biggest side effect because your body already has antibodies and they will attack the first vaccine - hence more side effects at first vac.
  • If you have not had the Kung-Flu in the past, you are more likely to have a bigger reaction with the second vaccination because the first vac created the antibodies which will now attack the second vac.

Come on man, it is Covid-19 not the Kung Flu. Kung Flu is a derogatory racist term and this virus has nothing to do with influenza.

Just to follow up on the intended topic. A friend of mine (my Covid sister as we caught it together) works in medical research and has been part of an antibody study since we was infected last March. What she has been told is the first shot for those previously infected is equal to the second shot for those not infected AND the second shot may not be necessary for those seriously infected but for the sake of messaging and confusion the second shot is recommended for all. This does not reflect anything in regards to the new variants which are still being studied.

This does not reflect anything in regards to the new variants which are still being studied.
This is a new game I believe they are doing an amazing job, this has claimed more lives then most wars. So anything they put out for us is a group effort, we may need a booster down the road but we should be able to survive.
Richie

I'm thinking the sore arm that some get could be from the " shot giver " . Some of them look like they're killin' snakes !

I didn't even feel a pinch when I got my first Shot, but it got swollen about 2" in Diameter. That went away after about 4 days. Then there was a lump deep inside, about the size of a "Shooter" Marble, for another few days.
None of these things hurt, unless you poked at it, and then it was just like a slight bruise.
However, It's all better than Dying sooner than the people who matter want you to!!!

Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky