Cover for vent on MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mushroomstamp

Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Just got a 30" MES. While seasoning it last night, I realized that I'm going to need something to cover the vent to prevent small leaves/fruits/flower pieces from falling into the smoker. However, I'm not finding any info on the topic. Any suggestions?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I can't say I've ever had anything fall into the vent of my MES while smoking. Should a leaf or some other bit of small organic matter happen to blow in there, I'm not so sure that's a huge concern.

The only thing I've ever worried about in that department is smoking when there's a potential for rain. When that happens, I just put a piece of cardboard on top of the smoker (not flat against the vent) and something to keep it from blowing off.

Good luck, and enjoy your new toy!

Reactions: MJB05615
When your MES is actually cooking, there's an upward air flow ("draft") that would oppose any leaves falling in and divert them to the sides. But maybe not acorns, so here you go...
A large food can (with top removed) and sides trimmed away leaving it just 3 "legs" to stand on should work. Spray paint it to your fave color, flat or gloss black being my choices.

Thanks for the advice. 👍

There is another fallen beechnut bloom on the smoker every trip I take outside. They are just heavy enough to fall through the updraft and just small enough to fit through the vent holes. Additionally, on my last visit to the smoker, there was a piece of a leaf of some sort that was laying over one of the vent holes. I've temporarily placed a screen-type colander over the vent. Lol

I'm thinking I want a vent stack as a permanent solution... which I'm guessing I'm going to have to make myself. Is there any chance that using a few very short sheet metal screws to fasten a pipe to the top of the smoker would be okay?

I'm thinking I want a vent stack as a permanent solution...
I used a stack off an old Char Griller offset that I parted out . Works great . 3" diameter .
Soup can works , or get a piece of exhaust pipe . Cut to length . Weld a 3/8 bolt to it and use a blank cover for a 4" electrical box for the damper . I've made a couple of those . I also made one from a sink strainer that fits in a wood ring and sticks on with magnets .
20210416_161656.jpg

My MES is on my front porch, under roof, so I never had trouble with things like leaves, fruits, or flower pieces. However to keep the Bugs out I use an upside down stainless Steel Sink strainer:

Vent in back right---Control box covered with Stink Bugs:
c61e862c_DSC01488.jpeg

When not in use, my MES is covered and under a pavillion. When in use, the cover is off, and rain is not an issue unless it's pouring. Then I put an umbrella over it. Never had a leaf or other debris problem. I have been looking into a smoke stack addition lately.

On a side note about your Stink bugs, i drove down to Maryland and bought a used Hardtop Bayliner boat, and inside it was filled with those stink bugs ( they were dead ) , never heard of them until than, i was still finding them here and there in the boat for a couple years
David

I don't know why the Stinkbugs seemed to like the MES control box more than anything. They weren't as bad last year. The last couple years we've been quarantined due to "Lantern Flies", and I heard this is our year for the 17 year Locust again!!! Locust will give great competition with the constant screeching that's always already in my ears!!

Bear

Had stink bugs bad around here this year . Never get them around the smoker , but they were every where else .
I worry more about the smoker when It's off . After many uses the vent gets stuck when cooled down . That sink strainer idea works great for keeping things out while stored .

Had stink bugs bad around here this year . Never get them around the smoker , but they were every where else .
I worry more about the smoker when It's off . After many uses the vent gets stuck when cooled down . That sink strainer idea works great for keeping things out while stored .

Yup---When it's off is the worst. Bugs don't want to enter when 200°+ is coming out.
I make sure I close the top vent, before it cools.
If I forget I just hit it with a torch & close it while hot.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Sink strainer works great.

My MES is not under any kind of shelter and is exposed to the elements so I have a full unit cover that I've had going on 4 years now and it has completely held up.

Apparently I can't seem to post a link to the cover I have so I'll just post up model/description:
iCOVER Smoker Cover - 21" L X 18" D X 33" H 600D Square Smoker Cover Water Proof Canvas Heavy Duty for Masterbuilt 30-Inch Electric Smokers, Black, G21611

Bought thru Amazon.

Last edited:
I've never had stinkbugs anywhere near the smoker. But we get them in the house most of the summer. They come in through our 2 window AC units. So we spray outside around the units constantly, and inside around the windows as well. Over the Winter when the units are stored, they all die. They DO stink too!

Bear that cant be good , the Locust and the screeching in the ears, i don't think you mean Mrs. Bear lol
David

I can't blame Mrs Bear---The constant screeching is Tinnitus from too much Artillery in 1969. Locusts are much louder though, but I don't hear them 24/7.

Bear

First , sorry to butt in on this thread on unrelated thoughts...David

The constant screeching is Tinnitus from too much Artillery in 1969
I cant imagine how loud that must have been, and i can understand how bad the ringing must be. Just from working in construction shooting into steel and concrete with unprotected ears both my brother and i have Tinnitus . Mine not as bad as his and both probably not as bad as yours. Just a constant hissing ringing noise. It sucks getting old
David

Reactions: Bearcarver
3 years on the firing line with sub-standard hearing protection,competative shooting during the same period and way to many shows being to close to the stage.I have tinnitus in both ears but much worse in the right.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky