County Fair BBQ Comp... Help Needed !!!! New Plan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So the Fair is in Jan... and they hold a Competition every year for charity... They supply the meat and charcoal for a $50 entry fee ... This years (2022) choice of meat is Tri Tip ... Since tri tip is rarely seen in stores here it's not a piece of meat that I am very familiar with ..

My thoughts are to smoke at really low temp (180ish) for 3 or 4 hrs so it will take on more smoke... Keeping an eye on IT as to not go over 120`... and then putting it on a screaming hot grill to sear/crisp up until an IT of 130`ish... and then letting it rest for 30 minutes leaving enough time for slicing and then turn in ...

What's y'alls thought on having a drip pan under it while cooking... Half full of some kinda concoction and then resting the sliced pieces in it before serving/turn in... ??

Will be reading all comments/suggestions...

my tritips hit 110 deg in under 1.5 hours at that temp. To go 3-4 hours you might need to use a lower temp.

I would make sure to be well versed in the multiple grain directions. Cutting it correctly will be half the battle.

Reactions: 912smoker
If you want to be really out of the box you can try doing the Tri-tip like a brisket. A few of us have done this method and really we’re happy with the results. It’s a risk, some people call it sacrilege, I cringed the first time I heard of it, but the flavor is unique and amazing.
1E961482-F8E5-40B7-A412-351B7EBEA6E6.jpeg
FF0F6A77-3A96-4434-B96D-D95E650FDA06.jpeg
E9B09E8E-BACC-4F52-8212-2DFD4DDF84E3.jpeg

If you want to be really out of the box you can try doing the Tri-tip like a brisket. A few of us have done this method and really we’re happy with the results. It’s a risk, some people call it sacrilege, I cringed the first time I heard of it, but the flavor is unique and amazing.
I was thinking the same if there’s enough time. Tritip like a brisket is one of the best things I’ve ever cooked.

The reverse sear method you are suggesting is a good one. If you get the chance, a trial run might be helpful to work out any kinks in your plan. Depending on the size & thickness the timing can vary for each Tri-Tip. Regardless, pulling somewhere between 120-125º, let rest for 5-7 min then sear on a hot grill 1-2 min per side. Pull and rest at least 10 min before slicing. Not knowing the judges hard to tell if there is going to be a preference on doneness. With this method I would be shooting for 135-137º but then there is the wait time in the box before judging to consider. If you have more than one to cook and enough time, you could do one your way and the other like brisket. Both in a box would be an awesome surprise. JMTC :emoji_grinning:

Regards to timing, adding a smoker tube for extra smoke could help but remember it's the judges taste preferences and IMO the meat flavor should still shine through. Not a fan of holding sliced meat in a bath of some sort prior to presentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks everybody for your reply's... I imagine I will have to get the butcher to order me one to do trial run ... As I said.. they are never in the stores around here ...

Thanks everybody for your reply's... I imagine I will have to get the butcher to order me one to do trial run ... As I said.. they are never in the stores around here ...
You can order from porter road butcher if you have trouble finding one

Pricey but worth it imo

Reactions: schlotz
OK.. so the new game plan is to cold smoke it for as long as I can... As I am reading that a lot of members say that a low and slow smoke is what makes them tuff... then I will inject it AFTER the cold smoke with some "stuff"... and throw it on a hot grill until 135ish...

What says y'all ???

I smoke most of mine at 225 then reverse sear. I've never had a tough one

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Majority of time I have done reverse sear but last two times I used an old pellet tube and lit it and put meet directly over it to take on as much smoke flavor as possible. This was done in my offset and lasted about 1.5 hour. I then moved it over to my Komodo Kamado caveman style right on coals until 125F internal. Probably best ever had

OK.. so the new game plan is to cold smoke it for as long as I can... As I am reading that a lot of members say that a low and slow smoke is what makes them tuff... then I will inject it AFTER the cold smoke with some "stuff"... and throw it on a hot grill until 135ish...

What says y'all ???

Thats how I have done it, smoke it low until you are happy with your smoke, then finish it as needed. BUT remember there is such a thing as too much smoke. I also stayed away from hard smoke woods. Corn cob and apple is good IMHO. Here like your house Tri tip just hasn't caught on, I think its because of the slicing. A full tri-tip goes easily for 75.00. I don't don'tb do many because I can get a brisket for that much.

Rubbed with 2 parts cracked black and 1 part kosher. Nothing else.

IMG_1320.JPG

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll turn out something tasty. Keep your slicing under control and that's half the battle. Good luck bud

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky