Smoked Tri Tip (Reverse sear)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Schools out for the holidays so the kids are taking advantage of hanging out with friends. So that left me and the wife alone together for a change. Decided we would have a tri tip for supper.

Tri Tip Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup wooster
1/3 cup oj
4 cloves minced garlic
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
2tbls brown sugar

I marinated the night before and all day yesterday.
Screenshot_20191231-154312_Gallery.jpg

While I brought the smoker up to temp I rested the Tri Tip on the counter and hit it with coarse black pepper on both sides.
Screenshot_20191231-154321_Gallery.jpg

Smoked it at 225° until IT hit 120° (about an hour)
Screenshot_20191231-154329_Gallery.jpg

Once it hit 120° I seared it over the flame.

Screenshot_20191231-154353_Gallery.jpg

Pulled it at 135° and rested 10 minutes. Final temp was 140°

Then I sliced her up.....
Screenshot_20191231-154345_Gallery.jpg

Wife just did some fries with it. I mean no kids so spending time on sides was the last thing we were thinking about haha.

Screenshot_20191231-154339_Gallery.jpg

Turned out delicious!

Looks great Jake! Just seen in our grocery store ads have sirloin tip roasts on sale for $3.99 lb. Is that the same as tri tip? Either way might have to give one a try. Cuz yours is making me hungry and we just ate not long ago

Ryan

Looks great Jake! Just seen in our grocery store ads have sirloin tip roasts on sale for $3.99 lb. Is that the same as tri tip? Either way might have to give one a try. Cuz yours is making me hungry and we just ate not long ago

Ryan

Sirloin tip roast is not the same as a Tri Tip.
However, a sirloin tip roast is great smoked and then reverse seared until medium rare.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I see your question was answered below. It actually comes from the bottom of the sirloin and is comprised of 2 different muscles. Hope you can try one out some day. One of my favorite foods

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky