Coulotte for dinner, cooked on Santa Maria grill ( 2 different cuts?)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
I always get 2 packages of coulotte (no fat cap) or picanha (with fat cap) per cow. depending on what I request.
This cow was coulotte, but the 2nd package (this one here) had 2 cuts in it. The triangular cut is what I usually get. I don't know what this other cut is, but the texture and flavor is very similar to the triangular coulotte. I'll gladly take it. Coulotte/picanha is maybe my favorite cut.

In a previous post I cooked coulotte with reverse sear. With the Santa Maria it seems more natural to sear first.
And for a picanha with the fat cap, I usually use a much different cooking method as previously posted here.

Anyway, this time I simply dusted with SPG and cooked over red oak, searing first, and then lowering cooking temperature.
Zucchini was brushed with EVO and sprinkled with black Hawaiian salt before grilling.
Sweet peppers were cooked in the coals until charred, covered with foil to steam, then the skin scrapped off.
Tomatoes were coated with EVO, balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese.

Man, this got the endorphins going tonight.

P1040503.jpeg

P1040513.jpeg

P1040516.jpeg

P1040523.jpeg

P1040525.jpeg

P1040526.jpeg

P1040527.jpeg

Wow. What a great post and a great meal. I do love the Santa Maria. Yours looks like the same brean I used to have, but different grates. Very nice job.

Robert

Talk about timing. I was thinking as I read through this that it deserved to be on the carousel...and it got featured as I was typing my first reply. Congrats on a much deserved ride!!

Robert

Reactions: bigfurmn
Out fricking standing!!!!

Coulotte is one of my favorite cuts of beef...it's SO, SO GOOD!!!

Perfect meal, congratulations.

Beautiful! Great job and amazing setup! That meat looks amazing! Congrats on a well deserved ride!

Dang'it man, that looks scrumptious!

That's a great looking plate, peppers on the coals, nice

David

Man that some great looking food and just love that grill!

Solid meal and that grill is super cool!

Great looking meal!
It doesn’t get much better than that!
Al

Talk about timing. I was thinking as I read through this that it deserved to be on the carousel...and it got featured as I was typing my first reply. Congrats on a much deserved ride!!

Robert

Sure looks good to me! Carousel worthy for sure. I’ve not had this cut yet. Congrats!

Excellent thread ! Thanks for posting .

YES!!! Great job. The meat is done just as I love it, the peppers look great, those tomato slices make a great side, and the zucchini...well I never was a fan.
I'd take a plate of that meal any day of the week.
Gary

Gorgeous plate!
Jim

Dang that looks awesome. Congrats on the ride!

Out fricking standing!!!!

Coulotte is one of my favorite cuts of beef...it's SO, SO GOOD!!!

Perfect meal, congratulations.

Beautiful! Great job and amazing setup! That meat looks amazing! Congrats on a well deserved ride!

Looks amazing, congrats on a great job!!!

Coulotte's are a wonderful cut of steak, you nailed it, really nice work there! RAY

That looks great. Nice grill for sure! I love the ability to raise and lower the grates.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.
The beef was out of this world. Nice and tender with a mellow smoky flavor.
And the coal roasted peppers were great. After scrapping off the skins, they were completely ash-free.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky