Corn cob pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
85D2AEFD-201E-417C-A9B9-3653B03AD76F.jpeg
Just picked this up at Tractor Supply for $10. Plan on using it this fall on bacon. Just wondering about thoughts & opinions on other meat to use it on. Thanks!

I use it on a lot of meat. If I am using pellets its cob pellets.

I used some a couple of years ago. The ones I had were from Tractor Supply and contained a lot of moisture. I had to microwave them to dry them out enough to light them. I never tried pellets

I used some a couple of years ago. The ones I had were from Tractor Supply and contained a lot of moisture. I had to microwave them to dry them out enough to light them. I never tried pellets

Well the bag does say "One forty pound bag will absorb over 18 gallons of liquid". o_O

Chris

I mix my cob with other pellets... Usually fruit woods... I have read where too much cob smoke has a bad flavor... Several years ago, I tried another brand of cob bedding.... I may have gotten too much smoke on the meat because it was horrible.... Just something to think about... ease your way up in smoke...

Reactions: zwiller
I used it on cheese and turkey. I like it but I like it since it reminds me of holidays at the uncles farm where he burned it.
Starting to think it might be a little rough for cheese but maybe dust would work/still dialing my cheese in. Did last year's holiday turkey with cob. I think cob adds a sort of old school/farm/country made character. IIRC Pops blends it with Todd's pitmasters choice and I plan to try that this year too. Dare I say cob itself might be a bit one-dimensional as you can't really tell it's corn cob like apple wood smells like apples. I need to do some testing but despite posts that say cob is the most subtle it might be a little stronger than other mild woods like apple or pecan. The pellets burn a little faster and much easier to start than wood too.

I used it on cheese and turkey. I like it but I like it since it reminds me of holidays at the uncles farm where he burned it.
Starting to think it might be a little rough for cheese but maybe dust would work/still dialing my cheese in. Did last year's holiday turkey with cob. I think cob adds a sort of old school/farm/country made character. IIRC Pops blends it with Todd's pitmasters choice and I plan to try that this year too. Dare I say cob itself might be a bit one-dimensional as you can't really tell it's corn cob like apple wood smells like apples. I need to do some testing but despite posts that say cob is the most subtle it might be a little stronger than other mild woods like apple or pecan. The pellets burn a little faster and much easier to start than wood too.
Hrm...well I tend to burn apple pellets for every thing and with the pellets you can't really tell it's apple. A shame to me, I like that faintly sweet hit you get from burning apple chips. Might have to try this, even if folk will be like 'Da heck? Your burning animal bedding for pellets'

Was a total apple guy, too. I ran apple for CB and didn't like it as it was too obvious it was apple and just like you said there was that sweetness. I feel pellets are FAR better than chunks of apple I used with my gasser. Never used chips though. In the interest of full disclosure I am well known as a super smeller and also all of this is highly subjective so I will say YMMV.

Was a total apple guy, too. I ran apple for CB and didn't like it as it was too obvious it was apple and just like you said there was that sweetness. I feel pellets are FAR better than chunks of apple I used with my gasser. Never used chips though. In the interest of full disclosure I am well known as a super smeller and also all of this is highly subjective so I will say YMMV.
I asked around, it's just apple pellets don't smell like apple when you use em. I just did some CB on mesquite but personally can't tell it was mesquite. I think I'm broken lol.

I asked around, it's just apple pellets don't smell like apple when you use em. I just did some CB on mesquite but personally can't tell it was mesquite. I think I'm broken lol.

You're not broken at all. It's quite common our senses differ. IE love hate for cilantro. Some people think it smells and taste like gasoline. Not me but I know people who do. Mesquite is quite powerful to me and I can spot it immediately. I was freaking out how real the apple smelled with the AMNPS. Like I said tho I came from a gasser and chunks and NEVER got TBS. Maybe chips are indeed better.

BBB on deck in dry stage now and gonna do cob and pitmasters blend 50/50.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I just saw this exact package online at TSC and it said not in pellet form $10/40lb. Loose. As of 18 days ago. Todd's pellets burn fast just from the nature of corn cob. Anyone run into the nonpellet form and use it in the Amnps?

I just saw this exact package online at TSC and it said not in pellet form $10/40lb. Loose. As of 18 days ago. Todd's pellets burn fast just from the nature of corn cob. Anyone run into the nonpellet form and use it in the Amnps?

The first 2 bags wasn't in pellet form. Odd shapes and sizes, nothing bigger then say a 1/2 a pellet. Burned great in the tray and tube. This bag is all pellets, still burns burns good. I can get a pic if you want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky