Cooking time for boneless pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dannyubc

Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Fredericksburg, VA
I smoked a 8.5 lb boneless pork this weekend on my MES 30. It turned out great but it took about 18 hours @ 225 to get to 200 degrees (I foiled it at 185) and increased the temps to 275. I spritzed it every hour with Apple juice and Maker's Mark every hour. I used hickory & apple chips until I foiled it. My question is that it seemed like 18 hours was too long for a 8.5 lb boneless pork shoulder...is that too long? What could I have doe to shorten the time,

I smoked a 8.5 lb boneless pork this weekend on my MES 30. It turned out great but it took about 18 hours @ 225 to get to 200 degrees (I foiled it at 185) and increased the temps to 275. I spritzed it every hour with Apple juice and Maker's Mark every hour. I used hickory & apple chips until I foiled it. My question is that it seemed like 18 hours was too long for a 8.5 lb boneless pork shoulder...is that too long? What could I have doe to shorten the time,

You could have kept the door closed! Every time you open the door you let out all the heat. Trust the smoke and trust your rub to provide enough flavor...

That's just my initial impression. I don't have your smoker and I do pulled pork differently than everyone else here. I will someday try it in a regular smoker, probably soon, but for now it's imu all the way!

Hey Danny, you could always try foiling when the IT reaches 165...might knock off an hour or two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky