Cooking in oven, finishing on an gas grill with foil packets.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

songslinger

Original poster
Sep 3, 2016
Long story short, I am making ribs on Sunday as the main course for a Monday night dinner.

As I do not have a grill, my process usually involves dry rub, foiled, oven 300 for 2.5. Then lacquer sauce on a higher heat.

But the Monday night dinner location has a large gas grill, and was hoping to introduce some smoke into the ribs. But I don't wanna overcook and have ribs that fall apart. How can I use both to get the best of (my) both worlds.

Thanks, gang!

I just put a chunk of wood over one of the burners & it's smoking in no time.

If the grill is large enough you would want to cook the ribs over indirect heat & just put the wood over the burner that's the hottest.

Say it's a 5 burner grill. You would lite the 2 outside burners & put the ribs in the middle. Then put a chunk of wood over one of the outside burners.

Al

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out how long I should cook the ribs in the oven before transferring them to the grill. I think I'll probably have between 2 and 3 hours of grill time to smoke.

How long will the wait be between the time they leave the oven, until they hit the grill?

You would not want to have partially cooked ribs sitting around very long.

They need to be fully cooked, ie. an IT of 145, the safe temp for pork, if you intend to transport them & finish them on a grill.

Al

Well I usually do em about 2 and a half hours at 300.  I was thinking of just doing em for 2 hours, and this would be early tomorrow morning.  so let's say they get done around noon.  I'd throw em on the grill for about another hour, hour and half around 4 pm.  I think they'd be cooked through at 2 hours, but not quite bone-pullable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky