Gas Grill Sourdough - Pizza and Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jarhead6870

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2023
Temperatures in my neighborhood have been between 95-108 degrees for the past couple of weeks making it too hot to bake in the house so…I cranked up the gas grill and baked outside. We had pizza last weekend and today, I ventured into baking my bread out there.

It’s a bit of a learning curve finding the correct temps on a gas grill as they are not as regulated our commercial oven but the end result was up to my standards and has provided a good baseline from which to work.

The pizza dough and bread are both from a sourdough starter.

Attachments

• IMG_5429.jpeg
    IMG_5429.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
Looks great!
I make a lot of pizza, but have not tried sourdough for some reason.
Next time I get on my week long sourdough making bender will have to give it a try.
Looks like you've been making pizza for a while.
Takes a lot of practice to get them round. Nice job. 👍

Thank you all for the kind words. I've been doing breads and pizzas for almost 20 years but always have to back off in the summer due to the heat. As mentioned, I thought I'd try to beat the heat and take advantage of our gas grill realizing it would take a few attempts to control the heat to get the results I wanted but. I know you guys with the dedicated pizza ovens cook at very high temps whereas I usually bake pies in the house oven around 500-525 degrees. First time I used the grill, stone temp got to over 800 degrees and boy those pies cooked fast; too fast for my flour. I marked my knobs and grill face with a felt tip pen and backed them off the next use, found the sweet spot and marked the grill face to line up with the knobs for the correct temp. Did the same for the bread but brought the temp down to 425-450 degrees.

Again, thank you for the replies; they are appreciated...Doug

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky