cooking for hire(kinda)???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnthomas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Southwest Iowa USA
Had a guy I know(not a close friend) ask me to smoke some meat for him for a birthday party. I have not ever cooked for any large groups other than my own family or personal parties. I am not licensed and not looking to get into catering. I figure the cost of meat i will have receipt. He want s to pay me for my time, but I have no idea what to charge him. Looking for thoughts.

I've had friends ask me to do this as well and I told them if I go ahead and do it I'd just charge them for their meat and an equal piece for me. Granted thats just like them wanting one pork butt done for them, and then would be one for me, or a few chickens, what ever. I've got a few local bar owners that might have me do stuff this summer yet for parties and thats when I'm not sure what I'll charge when they have me smoke 2 or 3 pork butts at once. But even then, if they spend 40 and I get 40, it seems pretty fair to me.

Had a guy I know(not a close friend) ask me to smoke some meat for him for a birthday party. I have not ever cooked for any large groups other than my own family or personal parties. I am not licensed and not looking to get into catering. I figure the cost of meat i will have receipt. He want s to pay me for my time, but I have no idea what to charge him. Looking for thoughts.
If it’s something your interested in doing it in the future my personal opinion would be to not charge. The experience would be a good pay day. Obviously they cover cost. That’s just my opinion.

Reactions: phatbac
Nothing wrong with them pay all expense including fuel wood chips or what ever you are using. Total expense cost to do what ever it is that they want. Including an extra piece of meat for you self is OK idea too. Doing it for nothing can lead to them expecting a lot more next time. Be sure and have a good understanding of what you are agreeing to do. Leave the door open and they will expect extras don't get taken.

Warren

The problem that you are getting into, charging to smoke meat is there are probably Health Dept. laws that prohibit doing that without the proper paperwork & licensing. The rule of thumb for charging someone is two times the cost of your materials, so in your case the meat is covered, but there is still your cost for wood, charcoal, & your time. So I would think it would be fair to buy twice the amount of meat & keep half for yourself. That way no money is changing hands & it's probably against the H.D. rules, but it wouldn't be a blatant violation, that would get them to visit you, UNLESS someone got sick eating your BBQ!
Al

I'm with Doug, just charge nothing. have them cover the cost and cook for them and let them scratch your back down the road or just do it to serve someone else.

Just my opinion,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: dcecil
I agree with having them pay for the items that you prepare but that's where I would draw the line. Unless you are serious about getting into catering then you have to deal with all of the fees and whatnot. Hell, I'd be happy to cook for somebody if they popped for all of the meat. Maybe a brisket for me in return :)

George

Reactions: dcecil
# 1 most important make sure he provides your beer! # 2...all your materials plus double the meat(or even just a brisket) sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

I think I would just do it for free and if he insists on paying you, just tell him to enjoy the party, food and pay me what he feels like when it's over or make a donation to a local charity.

Chris

Reactions: phatbac
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky