Cooking for a friend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richard cameron

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Sacramento California
A good friend of ours has come down with stage 4 breast cancer.  My wife announced to me at dinner time last night, I am going to cook dinner for her and her husband tomorrow.  I was told that I needed to supply some smoked meat for them.  I didn’t have anything to offer, so off to the store I went.

What I came home with was a 4 lb pork loin.  Actually I bought two; one for my friends and one for me.  I prepped them with some dry rub, and off to the refrigerator to rest overnight.  At 5:30 this morning they were in the smoker ready to be cooked.

I will post another picture later after the pork loins have been cooked.

Reactions: ab canuck
Richard you sound like a good friend to have. I would check the ingredients of your rub against what your friend is allowed to eat. Some seasonings aren't allowed in the diet of someone being treated for cancer. I know my friend who died about ten years ago wasn't allowed salt or pepper and my father wasn't allowed salt.

Richard you sound like a good friend to have. I would check the ingredients of your rub against what your friend is allowed to eat. Some seasonings aren't allowed in the diet of someone being treated for cancer. I know my friend who died about ten years ago wasn't allowed salt or pepper and my father wasn't allowed salt.
Good point, GMC, and even better on you, RIchard.  We did similar with co-worker's wife a few years ago--we signed up for who would be cooking for what week, and bring it to work for him to take home to the family.  He posted what foods and ingredients she was not allowed, and made it much easier for all of us to go from there.  

Thank you for your input on the dry rub ingredients.  I was told to stay away from dairy products.  Since our friend just started chemo, she isn't eating much right now.  The dinner is mostly for her husband and their two children.

That's a great thing to do, It's a tough thing to deal with when a loved one goes through something like that. Kudos to you your family and friends for the help... Point 

The pork loins are done.  I cooked them to an IT of 145, covered them with foil and a bath towel, and let them rest for an hour before wrapping them up.  I cooked them using oak and fruit wood. My only problem is that I don't get any for dinner tonight.  I was told that tonight's dinner is left over chicken chili and a salad.  Oh well, some things are worth waiting for.

Nice meal! Nice way to help!

My MIL went through breast cancer all of last year. In remission and looking good.

To help out I pre-grilled (couldn't do the smoke as they all read the "Smoked meat causes cancer" articles) chicken breast and pork chops so my FIL could make quick meals. Vac packed then individually and froze them. Helped them out immensely, especially early on.

Hope your friend makes a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The loins look fantastic!

Your a great friend & I'm sure your effort will be greatly appreciated!

Al

Chicken chili and salad is a sacrifice I'm sure your more then willing to make. I hope your friend makes a speedy recovery.  She's blessed to have friends like you and yours. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky