Cooked perfect medium rare then it turns grey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
General question,
I cook beef tenderloin or any roast type of meat and it's cooked to perfect temp.
I let it rest for awhile, depending on the size it could be 10 minutes up to 30 minutes.
I put it on the cutting board and slice it up and it looks perfect.
I take it to the table and get the sides to the table and by the time we all dig in it starts to turn grey.
What am I doing wrong?

It's odd that your beef roasts look fine upon slicing, then turn gray. What are you calling the "perfect temp"? And what is your pit temp? Sometimes too low of a pit temp will sort of bake the meat and it will be more gray than red, but it still does not look one way and and then change color.

I rest beef tenderloin between 10 and 15 minutes about like you do. My internal is around 130° when pulled and this is the color I see.
9mCMC.jpg
9ooI1.jpg

Maybe run through you cook Temps and times.

Corey
It's odd that your beef roasts look fine upon slicing, then turn gray. What are you calling the "perfect temp"? And what is your pit temp? Sometimes too low of a pit temp will sort of bake the meat and it will be more gray than red, but it still does not look one way and and then change color.

I rest beef tenderloin between 10 and 15 minutes about like you do. My internal is around 130° when pulled and this is the color I see.
View attachment 516070
View attachment 516071
Pull it at a lower temp.
When you let it sit it is still cooking.
Al

Thanks all for the input, I wasn't referring to a specific cook but it's something that seems to happen to me frequently. I was reading a post somebody had this morning with a work from home awesome looking tri-tip and it got me thinking.

I'll try to pay more attention to the specifics the next time so I can give better details.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky