Compare flavor of shoulder vs ribeye roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I recently have done a ribeye roast and a couple butts and was told the roast had more flavor.  I was surprised because I figured the fatty butts would have more flavor.  is this just a lucky draw of meats or would a ribeye roast usually have better flavor?

most everything was the same.  Temp, smoke, rub, glaze.  I think the butt was more tender and juicy but I guess the roast had more flavor. 

V,

you are trying to compare a great cut of beef to a minimal cut of pork.

not possible.

I promise you if i smoke rib roast and a butt even though both will be good,

i could blind fold 20 folks and as long as they are objective (Don't dislike beef or pork) 19 out of 20 will choose the rib roast.

This was a PORK ribeye roast. 

Last edited:
Viper,

When you say "Ribeye Roast" everybodys' eyes (on this forum) light up, their heartbeat quickens, breathing becomes heavier, and the words "Rare" or "Medium Rare", and "Beef"  travels through their brains.

When talking about Pork ribeye, you must specify to keep all of that from happening.

I would think if you made a Pork Butt, and a Pork Ribeye Roast exactly the same way, it would be impossible for me to tell a difference in flavor.

Bear

Jez Bear I thought he was talking beef too. Got my heart pounding! Still looking for one of those guys on sale around here.

Pops may be along here.  Until then, it is my understanding that the rib primal is cut from the beef.  This pork "rib eye roast" would be a cut from the loin primal on the pork. I don't believe we can correctly use "rib eye" when referring to pork.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky