Comp thighs with Tarragon White Wine Cream Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The wife scored some chicken thighs on sale ($4 for the pack of 9) and asked if I would smoke them up comp style….aka chicken biscuits…..

So I deboned, deveined, and fat scrapped the skin to create nice little biscuits, once prepped I used Kinders caramelized onion and butter rub all around under the skin and all.

Sorry I didn’t snap a pic as I wasn’t planing on making a post…..

I was a little short on time so I ran the RT 1250 @ 265 and placed the biscuits on the top shelf to set the skin….after 40 mins I placed the skin side down for the next hour when they got flipped over to finish….
BB237B90-FEF4-4812-A3FF-A8C6659AF809.jpeg

Ran them skin side up for the final hour till the INT hit 180…..pulled pic….
05D27752-657F-4144-902F-69B61F6C490E.jpeg

C1E473DE-56A9-4659-B394-17758111B7BA.jpeg

I did do a few basting sessions from the pan juices (butter, classic olive and natural juices….

The wife was looking for new sauces and saw this recipe in the professional chef cook book, for a tarragon white wine cream sauce…….and thought I can put that over chicken thighs….

She started with a couple of shallots & garlic in butter and wine, then flour to make a roux, then some chicken bone broth to build the sauce, at this point she transferred it to the blender and puréed the shallots then back in the pan to finish it…..with fresh herbs and chopped tarragon…..she finished it with a bit of cream & black pepper….. I’m the mixer boy! She really didn’t follow a recipes she just went for it based on taste…..
541F13B0-406F-4FB4-A993-B9337A75D869.jpeg

The chicken biscuits were sliced and placed over some rice then topped with the sauce….
94FF0005-6D0D-447D-9838-31F3F32A6A54.jpeg

Oh man a new found FAV!!!!! The comp bite through skin is just magic cause the sauce doesn’t make it soft cause it is already soft!
EAA53DAD-F2F8-46B1-9676-D7F70EAB45D4.jpeg

Oh and the reasoning or inspiration…..the wife made up some green goddess dressing and had extra tarragon….. here is the iceberg wedge with bacon, pickled red onions (my wife made), feta crumble, and cracked multi-color pepper….oh all in a freezer chilled bowl!!!
25C875E2-6707-43A3-A96F-C6241AFB4D8D.jpeg

Thank you extra tarragon!

I'd be on that like a man a starving!! So when and where do I sign up for a live in cooking class????

Jim

The comp bite through skin is just magic cause the sauce doesn’t make it soft cause it is already soft!
Yes sir . Rendered skin is what I want on grilled or roasted chicken . Melts in your mouth .
That sliced chicken plate looks crazy good . Nice work bud .

Reactions: BBQBeth
Oh hell yeah, I'd hit that like an mad old lady with a switch.
Many thanks chiler! I blinked and it was gone gone gone! Didn't even know what hit me....LOL
I'd be on that like a man a starving!! So when and where do I sign up for a live in cooking class????

Jim
Thanks Jim! Cooking class.....Isn't that every time you log in to the forum.

My wife has been on a sauce learning making journey for the past 2 years and I'm really liking where it is going for sure! If you watch any cooking shows, they all sauté and blend sauces and now that my wife has been doing it.... man oh man, the first sauce she experimented with this was a GR recipe for cilantro lime rice and it just grew from there!
Not a chance in he** that I would be late for that meal. Great work Civil !
Much appreciated winter! I would hold a bowl in the oven and one in the freezer for ya!
Yes sir . Rendered skin is what I want on grilled or roasted chicken . Melts in your mouth .
That sliced chicken plate looks crazy good . Nice work bud .
Thanks chop!

I have always done my chicken biscuits at 225 in the past and for the skin to be rendered fully, I had to be very meticulous about scrapping the skin fat to avoid soggy skin.... As I said I was rushed and didn't spend the detailed time I usually do and the 265 seemed to render the skin much better but yet they were still smoky and tender...... I will be experimenting more with the 265 temp and biscuits.... it may become my go to temp for them.

Reactions: JLeonard
I will be experimenting more with the 265 temp and biscuits.... it may become my go to temp for them.
I've done the pan cook on thighs . It work great , but I'll do the same thing on a kettle . Indirect , no pan or butter . Run temps around 350 . Indirect the whole time , no flip . I take the internal temp to 180 ish .
Pellet grill without a pan , they need basting in my opinion .

I've done the pan cook on thighs . It work great , but I'll do the same thing on a kettle . Indirect , no pan or butter . Run temps around 350 . Indirect the whole time , no flip . I take the internal temp to 180 ish .
Pellet grill without a pan , they need basting in my opinion .
I can see the 350 on a kettle being a very good cook! I have also found that in the pan a blend of Olive oil and a just a bit of butter renders much better cause than plain butter because the no moisture to burn out..... I have tried no pan on the pellet and well that's a no go for me they just don't come out as good, so agree they need the pan basting on the pellet!

Reactions: chopsaw
That. Looks. Amazing!!

Please pass a plate this way…

Red
Many thanks Red, it is appreciated!
Awesome looking meal there civil

Warren
Thanks Warren!
Looks lik a great combination of flavors.
Thanks thirdeye! This was my first use of this particular kinders and it went really well with the tarragon.
Awesome job! That is a fine looking meal for sure.
Much appreciated TC! It was a quick throw together meal that came out as if planned….mad for happy smiles for sure!

That's a fine looking meal Civil, and that sauce sounds great.

Point for sure
Chris

That's a fine looking meal Civil, and that sauce sounds great.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, it was a dressed up classic white wine sauce. it was surprisingly light!

Awesome job on that, looks delicious! Just not gonna bother Chili though... he has a switch!

Ryan

That looks delicious, and the sauce looks very complimentary.
Thanks third eye! Yes the sauce was very nice add to the thighs.
I looked great with the crispy skin...no sauce necessary! Fine looking meal. Thanks for posting!
Thanks uncle Eddie. The skin is actually bite through comp style it just looks like it’s crispy and you are welcome, just trying to show smoked bird parts are more than just bbq sauced!
Wholey chit man! That looks absolutely delicious for yard bird. Very nice work Civil.
Many thanks SE! It was a very tasty meal for sure! Need to do it again!
Awesome job on that, looks delicious! Just not gonna bother Chili though... he has a switch!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan and yea I’m staying away from that switch…..me no likie that!!! Lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky