Commercial Smoker Showdown - MM H2O vs. Oyler LRS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which commercial smoker?

• MM H2O 72/72XC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oyler Little Red Smokehouse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onerackrags

Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Hi folks - I am working towards the dream of opening a BBQ restaurant and wanted to see if anyone had personal accounts of using a:
- Myron Mixon H2O (72 or 72XC most likely)
and/or
- JR Oyler Little Red Smokehouse (or possibly the Smokemaster).

Based on local commercial certification requirements (must be UL) and my desire to cook with wood and steer clear of pellet or gas assist cookers, these seem to be pretty much my only options. From what I have read, the capacity of the two are similar with key differences being:
1. Cost - $10K+ for the MM and $25K+ for the Oyler
2. Babysitting - MM needs to be tended throughout whereas the Oyler gives more opportunity to step away for longer duration

Any feedback is welcome from those with experience with one or both. I have seen a MM up close and personal but have never seen the Oyler in the flesh. It is a rather substantial price difference, which leads me to lean towards the MM, but I would be open to upping the budget if the extra cost is worth it (or I can find one used in good condition). One concern with the MM is the water component with where I live. It would not be a frequent issue, but there would be a chance for freezing complications that are at least worth considering (average lows below freezing December-February, though average highs are above).

Thanks all!

NOTE: cross-posted on BBQBrethren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky