cold weather smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shane58722

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I want I want to try smoking a butt on Sunday they're calling for high temperatures of 5 has anyone done this is it possible???

i've never experienced 5 degrees...sheesh i'd probably just stay inside! But fire is fire...just get that baby burning!

I have smoked as cold as 10 above so far with my Masterbuilt electric 30.  It is insulated some, and it maintained it's temp that i set. Supposed to get beyond 20 below tonight so this weekend is a no smoke weekend. Reinhard

i run my smoker in my shop, vented out thru a hole in the shop door with 3" heat duct. put the woodstove on in there, have a few beers and relax.....  :0)
i was going to build a hood to go over my masterbuilt and do the same using a bathroom fan. long cold winters up here in norther canada !!!!!
 and this site has me hooked on good food and making all these goodies

I CANT STOP ... IM ADDICTED

Thanks all for the input gonna give I a shot what do I have to loose will monitor temp remotely lol

I agree. If it's not windy you should be able to do it. If you do have wind, you can move it behind a wind break. Like you said, there isn't much to loose if it doesn't work. You can always finish it in the kitchen once you get some smoke on it as a last resort.

You don't mention what type of smoker you have. That can make a difference in the answer to your question. I smoke year round, today it is currently -16 with wind. I plan on smoking later today. I'll be using mini-WSM and don't plan on doing anything different than when it's 80 out. Well except I plan on not being outside much!

Well fired up my smoker at 5am it was 18 below 0 smoked a pork butt worked fine roast was awesome

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky