COLD SMOKING WITH THE LANG, CHEESE & LOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
We finally had some cool weather the last couple of days.

In anticipation of that I started my lox recipe a couple of days ago so it would be ready to smoke yesterday.

The recipe I use for lox is this one if anybody is interested in making some.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106029/homemade-lox-with-recipe-steps-plenty-of-q-view

I also picked up a few different cheeses. 

Here's what I started with. The lox has already been cured & dried & is ready for the smoker.

I filled the tube about 3/4 full with apple pellets & fired it up with a torch.

I only let it burn about 3 or 4 minutes & the wind blew it out.

So I stuck it in the back of the fire box & left both dampers wide open.

Into the smoker goes the cheese & lox.

It's really drafting nicely, perfect amount of smoke.

And as you can see there is no heat at all from the pellets.

The pellets burned out in a little over 2 hours and when I looked at the cheese & lox, they both had a nice color.

So I took them out and let them both rest in the fridge overnight.

Fast forward to today, and the cheese is ready to be vac packed.

All ready for the fridge.

Now for the lox.

I try to slice it as thin as I can and also at about a 45 degree angle.

There is a plate of goodness!

I love this new machine!

The lox is ready for the freezer.

Oh yea, before anybody yells at me I did write the wrong date on the packages.

At least I got the month & year right!

I definitely had some fun the last couple of days, but it won't last for long.

Back into the 80's during the day & lows in the 60's at night.

I'm not complaining, but it is nice to have to wear long pants & a long sleeved shirt for a change.

Thanks for looking fellas!

Al

Looks great Al

I could indulge in a plate of that!

Looks delicious.

What about that torch picture? Did you have to put on a sweatshirt? So used to you wearing a T shirt or no shirt at all I barely recognized you! LOL 
biggrin.gif

Looks great Al. Glad to see you should that the big RF's can be used for this type of stuff also.

Nice Job, It looks great "Do you have my address?)    I cold smoke on my RF  works great

points1.png

Gary

Looks great Al

I could indulge in a plate of that!

Looks delicious.

What about that torch picture? Did you have to put on a sweatshirt? So used to you wearing a T shirt or no shirt at all I barely recognized you! LOL 
biggrin.gif
Thanks John!

Yea it was 58 out when I fired it up. That's cold for us! Sweatshirt & sweatpants too!

Al
Looks great Al. Glad to see you should that the big RF's can be used for this type of stuff also.
Thanks Brian!

I was really surprised how well it pulled the smoke thru.

In about 10 or 15 seconds after I lit the tube I had smoke coming out the stack.

Al

Nice Job, It looks great "Do you have my address?)    I cold smoke on my RF  works great

points1.png

Gary
Thanks a lot Gary!

I appreciate it!

Al

Al I love Lox the only way I eat Salmon Points

Richie
Thanks Richie!

I eat all kinds of salmon, but lox is my favorite way!

Al
That all looks awesome Al ! Very nice cold smoke my friend !
icon14.gif
Thank you Justin!

Al

Holy smoked cheese and salmon.

Looks most awesome there Al
Thanks Rick!

Glad we finally got a cool morning to do it on!

Al

Good job Al.  Nice combo to smoke.    Question:  How often to birds come to the bird feeder when you're smoking away? 

Last edited:
That looks awesome!  I definitely need to get one of those tube smokers, as I would love to attempt smoking some cheese and lox.  Great job, and great photos!  Thanks for sharing!

That looks great Al,,, nice smoke,,, High of 32 here today and single digits at night again this next week,,, Great time to do some cold smoking also for us,,, 

DS 

Cheese and lox looks superb! Nice smoke!

Point!
Thanks a lot Case!

Al

Good job Al.  Nice combo to smoke.    Question:  How often to birds come to the bird feeder when you're smoking away? 
Thanks Craig!

Honestly I don't think the smoke bothers them, they still come.

Now the sandhill cranes don't like the smoke & they will come by but leave as soon as they get a whiff of the smoke.

Al

That looks awesome!  I definitely need to get one of those tube smokers, as I would love to attempt smoking some cheese and lox.  Great job, and great photos!  Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the compliments!

I'm sure there is a video in the making!

Al
Nice cold smoke Al!!
You should be set for awhile.
Thanks Doug!

I'll go thru the lox pretty quick, but the cheese will last me.

Al

That looks great Al,,, nice smoke,,, High of 32 here today and single digits at night again this next week,,, Great time to do some cold smoking also for us,,, 

DS 
Thanks DS!

Yea you could smoke ice cubes!!

Al

Everything looks great Al.

I gotta try some lox.    Havent made any yet.

Looks awesome Al! Very nice color on that cheese!

When I seen you lighting the pellets I was a little shocked. I have snow welded in my brain already so not seeing it made me do a double take. Haha. Nice smoke!!

points.gif

I love lox. Havent gad any in years Might have to do something about that. Looks like youll have great smoked cheese for a while.

My bird feeders are abiut 3 feet from my smoker and doesn't seem to bother the birds at all. Of course my chickadees are so comfortable around here that they just line up on top of the feeder while I'm standing there filling it.

Gary

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky