COLD SMOKING WITH THE LANG, CHEESE & LOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Everything looks great Al.

I gotta try some lox.    Havent made any yet.
Thanks Adam!

It's my favorite way to eat salmon, you gotta give it a try!

Al

Looks awesome Al! Very nice color on that cheese!

When I seen you lighting the pellets I was a little shocked. I have snow welded in my brain already so not seeing it made me do a double take. Haha. Nice smoke!!

points.gif
Thank-you!

It did snow here one time back in the 70's.

Hope it never happens again!

Al
Looks good Al! A buddy at my work keeps raving about smoking cheese, and after seeing your pictures, I gotta try it.
Thank you!

Smoking cheese is so easy to do & once you do it your hooked.

I was down to my last block from last winter, and you just don't want to run out!

Al
I love lox. Havent gad any in years Might have to do something about that. Looks like youll have great smoked cheese for a while.

My bird feeders are abiut 3 feet from my smoker and doesn't seem to bother the birds at all. Of course my chickadees are so comfortable around here that they just line up on top of the feeder while I'm standing there filling it.

Gary
Thanks Gary!

I think after a while the birds just feel safe & really don't care what your doing!

Al
Looks very good Al! Nice job!
Thanks a lot Jay!

Al

Looking good, Al. Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to try this on my 48" lang-clone but was worried it wouldn't draft properly without heat. You've inspired me to give it go.
Thanks Tom!

I was very surprised how well it drafted too, it only took 10-15 seconds for smoke to come out the stack after lighting the AMAZEN.

Al

Al - that looks amazing! I could eat that plate of LOX right now! 
Thanks Jake!

Al

I just wanted to clip this part so that you know it's addressed to you, Al. 

Santa just gave me the MES cold smoking attachment for my MES 30 and am considering my first cold smokes.  I'm in Melbourne, so a little north of you, but being close to the coast cancels that.  A day in the 60s is a rare thing.  I was starting to wonder if I could cold smoke here, since "cold" doesn't really happen.  Maybe once or twice a year.

Bob

Screw the Lox... Love the cheese!
Just kidding, I like Lox too.

POINT for the great pics.
Thanks CR!

It is greatly appreciated!

Al

I just wanted to clip this part so that you know it's addressed to you, Al. 

Santa just gave me the MES cold smoking attachment for my MES 30 and am considering my first cold smokes.  I'm in Melbourne, so a little north of you, but being close to the coast cancels that.  A day in the 60s is a rare thing.  I was starting to wonder if I could cold smoke here, since "cold" doesn't really happen.  Maybe once or twice a year.

Bob
Yes you can cold smoke there.

Best time to start is early in the morning.

If your smoking cheese, you may have to put a pan of ice or a couple of frozen water bottles in the smoker to keep the temps down.

You don't want the smoker temp to get above 90 degrees.

I put a long pipe between the smoke generator & the smoker & this will cool the smoke down & clean it too.

Here's a pic of my setup.

Hope this helps!

Al

Looks great, Al!  I see you mentioned that you only smoked for about 2 hours or so.  Assuming you properly cure the fish prior to smoking, 2+ hours of actual smoke time is all you need?  I know some prefer to smoke for long periods like 20+ hours but I am more drawn to your method since I am just getting started. 

Thanks!

Sean

Looks great, Al!  I see you mentioned that you only smoked for about 2 hours or so.  Assuming you properly cure the fish prior to smoking, 2+ hours of actual smoke time is all you need?  I know some prefer to smoke for long periods like 20+ hours but I am more drawn to your method since I am just getting started. 

Thanks!

Sean
Hi Sean,

Lox is so delicate that it really takes up the smoke. I have cold smoked lox for longer, up to 4 hours & it was way too much smoke flavor.

I've made this recipe a bunch of times & found that around 2 hours is just about perfect for our taste.

Same thing with the cheese, 2 to 2 1/2 hours is plenty.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky