Cold smoked salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltysandman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
SFla
Hi all,

I'm attempting for the first time a cold smoked salmon in my MES30 here in south Florida. It's a balmy 80 degrees. Ive frozen a block of ice to keep in the smoker to keep my temps down and of course not using the heating element. Ive turned the unit on to monitor temps and set to 35 so it won't turn on. I have the mailbox cold smoker attachment that's not turned on and paired with my AMNPS 6x6 wood dust smoker. also using multi probe thermometer to measure temps in top of smoker and bottom.

Ive cured/brined my 1.5 lb filet for 6 hours in the following dry brine:

1 cup Kosher salt (mortons)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS celery seed
1 TBS black pepper

Rinsed it and kept in fridge overnight to form the pellicle.

My concern is for any food born illness or other pathogens/baddies that will get one sick. Since i've brined/cured it, do i need to worry about it? is there any temperature guidelines i should follow? my goal is to have that awesome thin-sliced smoked salmon that you put on bagels. any recommendations/warnings are much appreciated.

*UPDATE* ive put the block of ice on top rack and a tray below it to catch dripping water as it melts. i've put the salmon on the bottom rack since it's the coldest as heat rises. current temp shows 66.

i'll have some pictures later.

thanks, salty

Last edited:
I always use cure #1 in my lox, just to be on the safe side. Here is a step by step process that I use, and as a matter of fact I have 5# in the fridge drying now ready for a nice 4 hour smoke tomorrow.
Al

thanks as always Al. I'll try this wet brine for the next one. I'll use the 4 hour suggested smoke time. My MES30 is sitting at a nice 70 degrees with the ice block in it.

I've made four 5lb. batches of lox in the last two months following Smokin' Al's directions, comes out perfect each and every time. I'd be a bit leery about no Cure#1. RAY

I've made four 5lb. batches of lox in the last two months following Smokin' Al's directions, comes out perfect each and every time. I'd be a bit leery about no Cure#1. RAY

thanks ray. i'll make some smoked beans as well. if i get sick, i'll blame it on the beans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky