Cold Smoked eggs in Smoking Whistle Hot Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
This is a basic hot sauce recipe given to me:
"Cut the stems off, cut in half, put em in the smoker at 225 until the edges start to brown or char (your preference)...puree them with some white vinegar...dilute them with however much vegetable juice you chose in a pot...cook it down to desired consistency...add salt, garlic powder, onion powder to taste...I can put mine in a squeeze bottle and it comes out fine...just have to cut a little more tip off for any seeds that don't get chopped up...that's it..."

What I did:
•20 fresh halved Chocolate Habaneros with seeds smoked 225* for five hours, then pureed with 1.5C ACV.
•64oz. V8 juice
•1 Tbsp garlic powder
•1 Tbsp onion powder
• simmered two hours to get hot sauce consistency.

I dehydrated my Choc Habs for storage and 20 (40 halves) dehydrated Choc Habs = 13.34 grams for future hot sauce from powder. I also made Chipotle Choc Habs smoked 24 hours at 150°F for a smokey hot sauce since this batch wasn't very smokey.

Cold smoked a dozen eggs with Apple wood pellets with the A-maze-n pellet smoker for two hours.

The pics tell the rest of the story. Need to let sit in the fridge a couple weeks

20190327_115454.jpg 20190327_114749.jpg 20190327_122846.jpg

Reactions: SmokinAl
I had a good pepper crop last year . Made a bunch of powder , but have a gallon bag of dried whole peppers . I'll have to try this sauce sounds good .

Reactions: dr k
I have a few Carolina Reaper seedlings going from the seeds @tropics sent me last year. I have Choc Hab seeds if anyone needs some I can mail. Hopefully the ones I've sent Tropics and HalfSmoked HalfSmoked are viable.

What would you say your total yield is from that batch?

Also, I'm sitting on 2 dozen dried reapers and not sure what to do with them. Don't wanna waste them by not using them properly

I poured the hot sauce after simmering/cooling back into the 64 oz. V8 container and it was about 50 oz. after reducing from simmering. If you have a scale to weigh 7 grams of CR peppers and go from there. The choc habs ~ 400,000 SHU are hotter than orange habs ~300,000 SHU but if CR ~2,000,000 SHU I'd start with a dozen max and you can always prorate other three ingredients and simmer, then add to dilute or weigh more powder to kick it up.

Yeah, I'm the same way Holly. That's why I want to utilize them properly. I'll be upset if whatever I make of them isn't properly hot.

I'm in on a few choc habanero seeds. I planed 4 poinsettia peppers in the hydroponic garden 8 weeks ago and two of them are 9" high and 8" round and ready for transplanting. So I have extra space for some more peppers.

The Aero garden is expensive but also amazing at starting plants. 3 weeks ago the plants were 4" high and spindly. Topped then to about 2" and trimmed all but a few leaves. Within a week they doubled in sized and re now beautiful bushy healthy pepper plants with sturdy stems.
PM me your address and I'll drop some in the mail.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky