Cold smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't see any way of producing smoke from the chips with that tray if you're trying to cold smoke.

Holly's advice (as usual) is right on point for the mes30

i'm with the others, don't see how you can cold smoke using the chip tray, I use the mailbox mod with the amnps, some people have luck putting the amnps on the bottom rails next to the chip loader with the loader pulled out a little for air flow. that was always a hit or miss for me that's why I went with the mailbox now never any issues

I don't even use the mailbox mod.AMNTS w/u-bolt mod loaded with crushed pellets and the chip loader completely removed for max air flow.

Can you cold smoke in the master built electric smoker with just the chip tray that comes with it?
No you can’t. Way too much heat to keep the chips smoking. My 6” Amazen tube smoker placed inside the MES 30 will heat the smoker up. Depending upon ambient air temperature I have to open the door periodically to cool the smoker down. With my Mailbox mod. I’m learning that if I adjust the length of flexible ducting from the Mailbox mod to the smoker I can regulate the amount of heat entering the MES keeping smoker temperature fairly constant. My cold smoking has been in sub freezing temperatures making cold smoking so much easier. I can’t see how you can cold smoke without separating your smoke generator(heat source) from your MES especially in a climate like yours. You can make a Mailbox mod for next to nothing, keep your eyes open for a metal container, all I had to buy was aluminum flex ducting and 3” to 4” reducer, pay attention to the 3” end, the one I purchased had a lip on the 3” end that fits tightly in the chip tray hole.

About 9 years ago, I did it.
I used to open the door every time it got near 100° in my MES 30.
That would keep it under 100° (Cold Smoking), and it would make the heating element come on to keep the chips burning.
Then 8 years ago, Todd Johnson invented the AMNS, and then the AMNPS, and it was Smoking Heaven ever since!
I've been using them right inside my MES Units ever since.

End of Story

Bear

I use to have a MES before I built my 36cu.ft. smokehouse. This was back before Todd Invented the AMNPS. Was a PITA to keep the chips lit in the tray...at any temp....
I did like bear and basically babysat it constantly opening the door, relighting chips, constantly tinkering and messing with it...I got so frustrated that I basically stopped making my sausages. Because it was such a PITA to moitor and I needed more space to do the big batches I wanted. Enter my smoker build.
I use the AMNTS oval now and since I have such a large volume, it works.

Point of note that I have discovered-pellets will generate more heat than coarse dust, and coarse dust will generate more heat than fine dust. And the tighter you pack it, the cooler it will burn.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky