Cold or hot(warm) smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
I have done both in my bacon smokes.
I lean towards the cold smoke.
Hot/warm smoke is a little faster.
Both seem good.
So whats the overall consensuses from the group?
Kit

I've never smoked my own bacon.
I've smoked a lot of other stuff in my day Lucky Strikes, Camels, Prince Albert rolling my own, Pot, Banana peals....
But I never felt confident enough to do any bacon smoking.
Doesn't it plug up your pipe, or make your rolling papers greasy? o_O

Seriously, I really love Maple Smoked Bacon. But it seems to be a rarity around here anymore. :)
I think most is cold smoked though...
Good info here.

I've smoked a lot of other stuff in my day Lucky Strikes, Camels, Prince Albert rolling my own, Pot, Banana peals....

Seriously, I really love Maple Smoked Bacon. But it seems to be a rarity around here anymore. :)
Good info here.
If you're using a brine, like Pop's, try adding about half of one of those little bottles of Maple Flavoring to the brine.
It will amaze you :)

Al I agree.
Smokey to me yes it is sort of precooked but still not bad and time frame is usually shorter, but like Al i do prefer cold, I think over all.
Sonny funny. Got a chuckle here cause I was wondering if someone would go there.. Seriously though you really ought to try making some bacon. Cure/smoke/eat.
Kit

Al I agree.
Smokey to me yes it is sort of precooked but still not bad and time frame is usually shorter, but like Al i do prefer cold, I think over all.
Sonny funny. Got a chuckle here cause I was wondering if someone would go there.. Seriously though you really ought to try making some bacon. Cure/smoke/eat.
Kit

I'll go anywhere, Kit.
And it is said you can't take me anywhere... :confused:

Not sure I could get raw sow belly here.
Kinda rough being a red dot in a blue State.
I did get a box of PBR the other day though.
That is, Pabst Beer for Rednecks. ;) LOL!
Good Old Fashioned Beer Taste. :)

A cold smoked pork belly is on my short list. But pork belly burnt ends is in front for now. Cold smoking in Texas is our for a while now.

Good info here.
HAHAHA... Anarchist Cookbook Recipe on those banana peels?

HAHAHA... With some Iron Butterly playing In A Gadda Da Vida in the background.
I'll go anywhere, Kit.

HA...

Crazy thing is I live in likely the reddest state (Texas) with the bluest dot (Austin) that likely has some of the worldest best BBQ! John Mueller’s Food Truck, Leann Mueller’s - La BBQ and Franklin’s!

Go figure!

But back to that Iron Butterfly drum solo and the banana peel feels!

Pat

Reactions: kit s
I'll go anywhere, Kit.

If you have a costco or Sams club, they have it or can get it. Good ones and decent price.

Warm Smoking.
I do all my Belly Bacon at Smoker temps between 100° and 130°.
I get the same or better Color & Flavor than I used to get cold smoking, only I now get that in less than half the time.

And I don't know how anybody could think Smoking at 120° is Pre-Cooking anything.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Bear

Reactions: Neo
I smoke bacon rarely but I do it more often with the fish (mackerel, salmon, eel).
To be honest, I can't peek only one way to smoke -- both ways have their own tasty sides. Don't you think that it's funny how differently warm and cold smoke works?

I smoke bacon rarely but I do it more often with the fish (mackerel, salmon, eel).
To be honest, I can't peek only one way to smoke -- both ways have their own tasty sides. Don't you think that it's funny how differently warm and cold smoke works?

A lot of that is opinion.
My Opinions below:
Hot Smoking:
They say Hot Smoke doesn't penetrate as well as Cold Smoke, which I Agree, because the Hot smoking kinda seals the surface, not allowing some of the Smoke to penetrate the meat as well.

Cold Smoking:
IMHO---Cold Smoking allows Smoke to penetrate Deeper than Hot Smoke, because it doesn't form a hardened shell of sorts on the Meat. Therefore the Smoke isn't slowed by a hardened surface, like with Hot Smoking. However the meat takes Smoke slowly, IMO because smoke doesn't stick as well to cold clammy meat.

Warm Smoking: (100° to 130°):
With Warm smoke you get the best of two worlds. The Meat is warm enough to accept smoke better than the Cold Clammy surface of the Cold Smoking Meat, Yet it doesn't form a hard shell on the meat like Hot Smoking does.
So with Warm Smoking, I get the same Color & Flavor as Cold Smoking, but in less than half the time as Cold Smoking.

Bear

Reactions: Annesse
I'll go anywhere, Kit.

Don't know if they have a costco in your area, but that is where I get mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky