Cold day for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
- 7 when I put these in the MES-30. Running 275 with my own rub over maple chunks. We will see how long it takes. I think the high for today in my part of the Mitten is 5 degrees.
IMG_20190126_085004523.jpg

It's running much better than anticipated. I am really enjoying watching the smoke slowly rising up in the still cold air with the sun shining. It's part of the reward of smoking at this time of year.

I threw a couple of butts in this morning, too. It was -3F when they went in at 7:30 and it took a good hour to stabilize the smoker at 270. Then the propane tank ran out, so I had to trek out to the garage out back for the spare tank.

I don’t normally wrap butts, but I’m going to try. I’d like to eat before 11 pm....

Reactions: JC in GB
I thought about wrapping but I'm going to let them ride. Wasn't planning on them for dinner tonight. Going to put the smoker on auto pilot and leave the dog in charge. Heading over to some friends for an afternoon of home brewing.

Homebrewing?!? Now you have my attention! What style are you brewing?

The planets aligned: threw on my first brisket 9PM last night and took it off around 11 today and tray was still smoking. Last overnighter the tray went out... Longtime brewer and BJCP. Maibock sounds good. Brewing days are rare but have daughter's grad party beer tapped, centennial blonde (crowd pleaser) I could go for a really big winter warmer tonight. Didn't sleep as well as I wanted, worrying over the brisket LOL.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky