Cob Smoked Six Pepper Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
I had 2 bellies curing for the last 10 days and wanted to try some new seasoning I found. It is a blend of six different peppers including black, white, red, bell, chili and one other. It is made by Tones's and is not hot like you think it would be. ----------> The money shots are on page 2 of this thread.

So after the curing process which by the way I did dry using tender quick with nothing else added, I placed the cut bellies in cold water changing the water every hour for 3 hours.

Next I dried them off and put a fan blowing on them for a couple of hours before seasoning them. I did 2 of them with the six pepper blend, 2 with black pepper, and the last 2 with what was left in the lugger from the first four. Didn't want to waste any seasoning right ? Then into the frig to rest overnight.

Now fast forward to the next evening.......filled up the tube smoker with cob pellets and the Ama-z-n with the same to create a heavy smudge starting out.

Below is the smoke tray holder I made for the smokehouse

In they go for 18 hrs, I'll dial the smoke down about half after the first trays burn out.

I will let them mellow overnight in the frig, then semi-freeze and slice. Will post sliced pictures tomorrow or the next day if my camera doesn't die. It has been acting up lately.

Just pulled them from the smoker in the pictures below.

Last edited:
Looking good! I've been adding white pepper to my bacon. I really like it. Can't go wrong with cob smoke!
Thanks, man you got that right, cob is good on bacon and other pork products. It's a little strong for a some folks but it works for me on bacon. A flavor unmatched on pork.

HT

HT glad I shook the little bug Love that cob smoke I'll be back for the finisj

Richie

Waiting for sliced pics. Great so far.
Love using cob for smoke. I use it almost all the time for my cured meats and sausage s.

I'm In. Looking good to this point
pepsi.gif

Looking great, I found the cob a bit strong on the last cheese I smoked still letting it mellow.

I got the most amazing color from cob on bacon! I was surprized I was expecting it to taste more like burnt grass for some reason. It does burn fast though.

I am watching, 

BTW I just stuck my arms down in the brine bucket today and moved stuff around. I don't remember now what it was, but seems I remember Dave having a work for that..>>LOL

I didn't see anything about pork on that 6 pepper blend label.  Be careful.  Or better yet, send me some to taste test to make sure it's safe.

Looking good!

Nate

I didn't see anything about pork on that 6 pepper blend label.  Be careful.  Or better yet, send me some to taste test to make sure it's safe.

Looking good!

Nate
It is good on everything....I will be doing some slicing tomorrow on a couple of them. I am going to leave most of them as slabs and slice as needed from the freezer.

HT

I got the most amazing color from cob on bacon! I was surprized I was expecting it to taste more like burnt grass for some reason. It does burn fast though.

I am watching, 

BTW I just stuck my arms down in the brine bucket today and moved stuff around. I don't remember now what it was, but seems I remember Dave having a work for that..>>LOL
I actually get a slow burn on the cob. I use cob pellets from TractorSupply(they call it horse bedding but it is pellets and 100% cob w no additives.) I get about 7 hours on the tube smoker and 6-7 hrs in the Ama-z-n tray. They color is a nice yellow golden like color. it imparts on the meat.

HT

Waiting for sliced pics. Great so far.
Love using cob for smoke. I use it almost all the time for my cured meats and sausage s.
I'll have some sliced pictures tomorrow. Some I'm gonna leave as slabs and slice later as needed. I hope these are meaty like the last ones were, you never know till you cut into 'em.

HT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky