cleaning smoker - to clean or not to clean

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
How does everyone treat cleaning the inside of their smoker? I have a little electric one and I'm getting a build up on the inside, how much is beyond "seasoned"?

I would only clean mine out on the inside if I had a reason to other than getting rid of ashes and cleaning water pans and such. My sister had a little sign in her kitchen that said "My kitchen is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be comfortable". She was a RN so I took her word for it.

yo shellbellc dudette,
i clean the grates a lot.
the inside wall i let stay "au natural"

the outside walls have grass on them from the mower [ha ha ]
im only kidding.

I have a large drain hole in the backside of Puff, so if I decide he needs a bath, I fire up the pressure washer and go to town. I open the drain hole and rinse away the grease and residue. Puff doesn't get many baths though unless I am feeding large quantity of strangers. If I am cooking for myself and my friends, I just let him cook off any "contaminants". The smoke stack usually runs over 300 degrees when I first fire him up with a full load of lump. The temps stay there for 30ish minutes while I regulate and get everything down to a comfortable 225ish. I figure any lingering germs are pretty well zapped with 300 degrees.

Unless you are worried about appearances, I wouldn't sweat it to much. Personally, I prefer having that lingering smell for as long as possible!

Shell -

I don't wash the inside I just use the brass brush to get the loose stuff off. The grates don't seem to get messed up much and also come clean with a brass brush.

The inside walls of my smoker stay thick!!! The grates get cleaned a little......the outside stays oiled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky