Cleaning Bradley Racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joe black

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I bought 4 Bradley racks about 6 months ago and haven't used them until recently. I have tried dish soap and hot water with poor results. I put 2 in the dishwasher yesterday and they still came out with black greasy residue on the wires. Can I put them in the oven on the self clean cycle? Can I put them in my FB and try to burn them clean? If anyone has any tips please pass them along.

TIA, Joe

Any time I wanted to clean up my cooking grates I used Dawn, and give 'em a soak for 30 minutes or so before hand-washing. Don't use abrasive cleaners or pads...that will eventually wipe the chrome finish right off of them. If they're really grungy they may need a longer soak and hotter water.

Anymore though, I let the residue build up...helps protect the grates once you have a good petina built up...a little exposure to higher heat (~400*F) will help to develop it more after each smoke, then just bust of the bigger drippings with a metallic brush while heating up the smoker. If you want a clean smoking surface for items such as cheese try aluminum disposable grill toppers...you can reuse them with a little cleaning, too, and being they are not a composite material you get more aggressive with cleaning methods and not hurt them, barring strong acids/caustics, of course.

BTW, excessive heat could damage the finish, or if not heated evenly may cause the thinner wire grates to warp.

Eric

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky