Citrus Wood: Remove Bark?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
Last week, I cut down my citrus trees because they were dying of citrus greening. Then I ordered a smoker.

The trees are still available. They're on my burn pile. I have read that citrus wood is very good for smoking. I'm thinking of cutting the trees up and keeping the wood.

Question: do I have to remove the bark in order to use this wood for smoking?

Reactions: kruizer
i'm not sure with citrus trees so i won't guess, but with the hardwood, apple, peach, cherry i leave the bark on unless it's loose and falling off anyway then i'll take it off. but i'll leave the citrus trees to someone who knows.

Reactions: Count Porcula
i'm not sure with citrus trees so i won't guess, but with the hardwood, apple, peach, cherry i leave the bark on unless it's loose and falling off anyway then i'll take it off. but i'll leave the citrus trees to someone who knows.

I'm with SJ as well..... but I use loose bark in my warm up cycle.

I have a ton of citrus tree in my backyard & when I trim them I never remove the bark. Just dry them out & use them with the bark. I have even used them before they were dried out & still green, with good results.
Al

Hope your trees make it. They say a treatment is finally being tested.

Don‘t sweat the bark, just be sure the wood is well seasoned before you try to use it. Citrus is great for chicken, fish and other “light” proteins.

Today I'm smoking a chicken with what I think is ponderosa lemon wood. The smoke doesn't have a lot of character, but maybe it shows its real value in the finished product.

I love how stingy this smoker is with wood. It will take me years to smoke up three small trees.

11 02 20 chicken in smokin-it smoker small.jpg

I am not too happy with this wood. It reminds me of burning shrubs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky