Chucky (Tastes Great, but not so Tender)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Chucky (Tastes Great, but not so Tender)

These Chuck Roasts I’ve been running through my Sous Vide Supreme have been coming out so Tender & Tasty, I really didn’t expect one like this.

The last two I did at 133° for 21 hours & 22 hours, and they were Perfect, so I saw no reason to make any big changes, so I did this one @ 133° for 21 hours again.
Then I Seared it all the way around on my Weber “Q”. It tasted Great, as usual, but it wasn’t near Fork Tender like the other ones were, unless you lean about 100 pounds into that fork.

I never did a Chucky longer than 22 hours, so I’ll have to try one for 24 hrs, or maybe even 27 hrs.
I really thought I had these Chuckies nailed down, until I ran into this tough old Cow part !!!

So I’m going to include this one in my “Step by Step” Index, as a warning to others that even though my other two were Perfect, you can still get one that’s not Perfect by doing everything the same way.
Meanwhile I will do some more tests to see if I can come up with a Length of time for an Extra Tough Chucky to get tender.

BTW: I used Worcestershire Powder, CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder before Vacuum Sealing this Chucky.

Everything else is in the captions above each Picture (Below).

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

Choice Chuck Roast @ $2.99 lb:
IMG_1807.jpg

Seasonings Applied:
IMG_1808.jpg

Vacuum sealed for the SV:
IMG_1809.jpg

In SV rack, and ready for a bath:
IMG_1810.jpg

After SV, Searing edges:
IMG_1813.jpg

Searing Both Sides:
IMG_1814.jpg

Slicing--Beautiful Color:
IMG_1815.jpg

Bear's first helping of Sliced Chuck Roast, Mashed Taters with Gravy, and Peas:
IMG_1816.jpg

Leftover sliced Chucky, ready for fridge & Sammies:
IMG_1817.jpg

Building Hot Roast Beef Sammy---First Gravy, then slice of bread, then heated Roast Beef----
IMG_1826.jpg

Then more Gravy----
IMG_1827.jpg

Then another slice of Bread, and more Gravy:----Dig In!!
IMG_1828.jpg

Bear, I did one a few weeks back and it came out the same way yours did. The flavor was great but it was no where near fork tender.

My wife likes hers a little more “done”. So I did ours 135 for 22 hours, then seared in a CI skillet.

I've got one going now. Started in Monday night and will eat tonight. Will be about 43hrs at 132. I've done them at 160/24 for a traditional pot roast texture and its amazing. This is my first one at a lower temp.

Great info and pics as usual Looked great, sometimes you just get a tougher piece of meat.

Gary,

Yep. You never know what that cow was doing out in the pasture. It's diet.
Age before butchering. How long the meat was aged before going to the store. Just a tuff ole cow. Luck of the draw when getting meat at the stores. You just don't know till its done and your eating.

I yet have to do a chucky but did a bottom round roast that was recommended for 2-3 days and the top round at 1-2 days. I did the bottom round at 135*F for 56 hours that was great but we're not comparing the same roasts. I vaguely recall that I read after 50 hours the texture of meat is softer going towards mushy but didn't experience that. I may stick to two days but something came up and being pasturized I got to it when I could.

This is from A Practical Guide to Sou Vide Cooking under tough meat. The last sentence caught my eye.
At lower temperatures (120°F/50°C to 150°F/ 65°C), Bouton and Harris (1981) found that tough cuts of beef (from animals 0–4 years old) were the most tender when cooked to between 131°F and 140°F (55°C and 60°C). Cooking the beef for 24 hours at these temperatures significantly increased its tenderness (with shear forces decreasing 26%–72% compared to 1 hour of cooking). This tenderizing is caused by weakening of connective tissue and proteolytic enzymes decreasing myofibrillar tensile strength. Indeed, collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin above 122°F to 131°F (50°C to 55°C) (Neklyudov, 2003; This, 2006). Moreover, the sarcoplasmic protein enzyme collagenase remains active below 140°F (60°C) and can significantly tenderize the meat if held for more than 6 hours (Tornberg, 2005). This is why beef chuck roast cooked in a 131°F–140°F (55°C–60°C) water bath for 24–48 hours has the texture of filet mignon.

Reactions: zwiller
So was it a little tough.... I bet it was still awesome.

Thanks for the info Kurt, I have wanted know that since first reading of SV.

So was it a little tough.... I bet it was still awesome.

Thanks for the info Kurt, I have wanted know that since first reading of SV.
I just googled sou vide and found this: A Practical Guide to Sou Vide Cooking. It's a free online book, basically a table of contents, having charts, text recipes and concise video recipes.

Thanks a great looking result bear. I’ve experienced the same, I usually do mine at 132 for 24 hours, that timing allows for dinner two days in advance. As you know chuck is tough and if your cooking with a select cut it can be even tougher. I stick with CAB for my chuck cuts. I also pre-smoke so that benefits the cook. Like everyone has said try longer cook times, I had to with top round after some tenderness fails. Regardless thanks for posting, this is always helpful to see less then perfect versus always great!!!

If you meant the Bottom round roast I did, it was tender not mushy after the 56 hours. 48 hours is going to be my sou vide max because I want to eat it! LOL

Bear, the color is great. I'll stick with 131*F in the future.

Still looks great, John - especially the pic with the bread and gravy. Sometimes like with other tough cuts that should be tneder, it is all about the individual cow.

Bear, I did one a few weeks back and it came out the same way yours did. The flavor was great but it was no where near fork tender.

My wife likes hers a little more “done”. So I did ours 135 for 22 hours, then seared in a CI skillet.

Yup---The problem is the other ones I did at the same temp & the same length of time were Perfect taste, just like this one, but the others were fork tender.
So the problem is knowing if it's going to be a tough one before you set your SV for time.
I'm perfectly happy with the 133° temp for Chuckies, but it appears I have to use 21 or 22 hours for a normal Choice Chuck, but longer for a tougher Choice Chuck, because I only buy "Choice". The other problem is I don't like the texture of a roast that's been SV'd too long. So if I know it would be a normal Chuck, I want to use 21 or 22 hours, but the bad ones need a longer time, even if they are "Choice" as you can all see this one was (In the first Picture above).

Bear

Thank You!
These two (Below) were Perfectly Fork Tender, done the exact same way as the one on this thread:
Chuck Roast (Best Ever—SV)
Another Awesome Chucky

Bear

Bear is there any kind of "bend" or probe test for tenderness on such a SV cook?

Bear is there any kind of "bend" or probe test for tenderness on such a SV cook?

None that I know of. I wish there was!!
This one was trying to fall apart when I was searing it. but it was tough to chew.

It's hard to nail down how to make these, because of the occasional bad one.
So I make them absolutely Fork Tender perfect using 133° for 21--22 hours. Then I get one like this one & it's not fork tender. So how long does that one need? And how do I find out how long a Tough one takes when I don't know ahead of time which one is tough?

I think I just have to see how much longer I can keep them in there before they start getting unacceptable from being in the SV too long, and then do them all like that. Guess I gotta work on that. I'll be staying on that 133° Temp, but I'm going to start extending the times on Chuckies---Gradually.

John

Last edited:
I've got one going now. Started in Monday night and will eat tonight. Will be about 43hrs at 132. I've done them at 160/24 for a traditional pot roast texture and its amazing. This is my first one at a lower temp.

Let me know how that 132° for 43 hours turned out.

Bear

Thanks a great looking result bear. I’ve experienced the same, I usually do mine at 132 for 24 hours, that timing allows for dinner two days in advance. As you know chuck is tough and if your cooking with a select cut it can be even tougher. I stick with CAB for my chuck cuts. I also pre-smoke so that benefits the cook. Like everyone has said try longer cook times, I had to with top round after some tenderness fails. Regardless thanks for posting, this is always helpful to see less then perfect versus always great!!!

Thank You Troutman!!
My feelings exactly!!
I'll be gradually trying longer times on these Chucks, because I only buy "Choice", but some of them seem to need more breaking down. I'm on it. I'll probably try 27 hours on the next one, and see where I go from there.

Bear

Yep. You never know what that cow was doing out in the pasture. It's diet.
Age before butchering. How long the meat was aged before going to the store. Just a tuff ole cow. Luck of the draw when getting meat at the stores. You just don't know till its done and your eating.

Yup!
I just wish I would know which one was going to be tough, so I could adjust the time.
Tasted Great though!!

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky