Chuck roast IT for pulling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Same range as Pork, 200* or so? Only pulled pork we have made so far was at 197* when I pulled it, after 18 hours I got impatient and just couldn't wait no more. Went to lift it off the mat and it just about fell apart.
Wife wants to make Tamales, even though she liked the pulled pork she still wants them made with beef.
Will do a thread on them if anyone is interested. FWIW the wife is Mexican so her Tamales are pretty authentic.

HECK yeah we want to see that thread!  This is interesting.  South Tx. ( TexMex ) is USUALLY made with pork and she prefers beef.  I would say for the purpose I would go to at least 190-200 or better yet just let 'er go until you cant lift it with tongs.  I would assume a drip pan is a MUST?  LOVE me some tamales.  The only way for me to get them in England is for me to make them myself so a good recipe and "how to" would be nice.  I CAN get what I need from an online source here in England.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

203 is my magic number. But just like a but it is tender when it's tender. Do the toothpick test at the end and wrap like you would a butt with a good long rest. I do chuckies all the time for pulling.

I think chuck dries out easily and should be smoked for 1/2 the cook and braised for the second half.  It retains the juices and creates an au jus for gravy or dipping.

Lately I can't pull that them at 203.  They are still not tender enough.  I just kind of let them be done when they are done.  I agree that braising them in beef broth or another liquid once they get a good deal of smoke is the way to go.  I usually do it in the 140s. IT.  Ive gotten the best results from pulling it at almost 210 and chopping it (sometimes it still doesnt pull) and putting it back in the braising liquid.  Reheat it that way either covered in the oven or in the slow cooker.

HECK yeah we want to see that thread!  This is interesting.  South Tx. ( TexMex ) is USUALLY made with pork and she prefers beef.  I would say for the purpose I would go to at least 190-200 or better yet just let 'er go until you cant lift it with tongs.  I would assume a drip pan is a MUST?  LOVE me some tamales.  The only way for me to get them in England is for me to make them myself so a good recipe and "how to" would be nice.  I CAN get what I need from an online source here in England.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
I have a hispanic friend who make me tamales from 50/50 venison 5 pork mixture. Man are they goooood. Of course I am close to San Antonio so Tex-mex is quite popular.

Don't get hung up on IT's. Tenderness is all about TIME. If you smoked it to no higher than 170°F and kept it there, eventually it would fall apart just like it was taken to 205. Beef Chuck is made of a few different muscles with different density. Some of it may be probe tender and other areas still tough. Best plan is to smoke it for 4 hours then braise it to make Machaca...JJ

Don't get hung up on IT's. Tenderness is all about TIME. If you smoked it to no higher than 170°F and kept it there, eventually it would fall apart just like it was taken to 205. Beef Chuck is made of a few different muscles with different density. Some of it may be probe tender and other areas still tough. Best plan is to smoke it for 4 hours then braise it to make Machaca...JJ
I wholeheartedly agree. I like to use the recipe in Jeff's book. It is really good.

ROTF.gif
  Chef Jimmy you have impressed me in the past many times.  "MACHACA" from a Jersey boy???  Brother I take my hat off to ya.  You know your shtuff!  Next you'll be telling me you have a KILLER menudo recipe!  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Sorry to side track the thread.  Just thought his knowledge should be noted.

That idea of smoking and then braising sounds like a plan to me if making tamales.  In this case we are talking about a chuck roast being made into tamales.  I hadn't thought of that but seems the best plan for tamales.  AND you have that great broth to insure the tamales are moist.  I will be interested in seeing picts of the process.  If the meat is too moist seems the masa would be mushy.  Step by step inkjunkie.  Want close ups of the entire process!  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Take nothing for granted, teach this dumb Gringo the proper way to do it.  PLEASE!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Among the cIasses I taught was International Cuisine, so there is not much I can't make and most of that is not having the proper equipment, a Vertical Rotisserie for Shawarma. So I do  know how to make Menudo. While the Honeycomb Tripe is no problem, finding Beef Feet are more of a challenge. I do have a KILLER recipe for Red Pozole with Chicken or Pork, including Totters and Fresh Hocks...JJ

Pardon the ignorance....and if it has already been mentioned my blindness....but braise with??

I put it in a foil pan with some beef broth, garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Wrap tight and into the oven until the meat will fall apart.   When the meat is done, pour your juices through a strainer and reserve for a later date when some smoked gravy over mashed potatoes would be appropriate.  This makes the best gravy. 

Reactions: bhelton
For Machaca, this is a basic recipe for the Braising liquid that becomes the sauce, I can't find mine at the moment. I leave out the Salt and use low sodium Broth or Stock and reduce it down to the point it looks like a Finishing Sauce for the Machaca...JJ

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/big-bens-beef-machaca/

What she normally does is "cooks" the meat in a crock pot. To add the color, spice and some moisture we will remove the stems and seeds from
Sorry about it geing sideways, these will get boiled for a while. Peppers will then be put in a blender with some of the still hot water and turned into a slurry of sorts. This slurry, along with quite a few garlic cloves and various other things will then be added to the shredded meat from the crockpot. What we were thinking was to just substitute the smoker for the crockpot, which is why I asked about the IT for pulling.

Hi inkjunkie.  I'll just bet that if you smoke that roast for 4 hrs. ( drip pan under the roast ) and then turn it over to the wife she will know EXACTLY what she wants to braise it in.  From what you are saying this isn't her first time wrapping a tamale.  
icon_biggrin.gif

Finding what you HOPE is a good recipe and actually getting a GOOD recipe and method from someone who knows are two totally different things.

I have a recipe for tamales that is on my list to try but how good that recipe is??  An authentic Mexican recipe AND a good "how to" with pictures would be invaluable.

Chef JJ; I actually have bought most of what I thought I needed for pozole.  I wanted to make it for my English wife.  She doesn't understand hominy so I figured that was the best thing to let her try.  I agree with Case here; I would LOVE to see a "how to" on that pozole recipe or at least just see the recipe.

Keep Smokin!

Danny

Ok, Here you go...

Pozole Rojo (Red Posole)... You will see the words Pozole and Posole used interchangeably in the US. The words can be seen referring to the Soup or the Hominy, white or yellow Corn, specifically the starchy corn that needs further processing, Maiz, as opposed to Sweet Corn that can be eaten as is. The Maiz is cooked with Calcium Hydroxide (referred to as CAL) to loosen the hull for removal, make it more nutritional releasing Niacin and Protein, reduces or eliminates the Mycotoxins that accumulate as a Fungus grows, it attacks when corn is in storage and when ground into a slightly course flour (Masa) used to make Tortillas, makes the dough stick together. This process is called Nixtamalization. Hominy is available Canned and Dry. If you buy the dry form, it will need to be precooked which takes a couple of hours. I used the Canned Hominy.

Most of the Pozole I've seen on TV is made with all Chile Guajillo. It gives a brighter red color but is also one of the hotter Mexican Chiles. My family is not into heat so I add milder yet flavorful chiles with good result, this is also more common in recipes on line. The final color of my recipe is a deep dark red and a mellow warm heat. You can use any combination or types of chiles you like or have. If you are making this for your family for the first time, I suggest you use what I did. If you or your family is used to heat, play with the type and/or number of chiles you use. Your dried chiles should be dry, firm and flexible. If they crumble when you remove the seeds they are past their prime or were in the store or your cabinet over a year or not kept air tight. This does not mean they a bad just that you will need to double the amounts for the same flavor. In any event you need to wake those chile flavors up before using. Start by removing the stems and seeds. The fleshy white part of a fresh chile holds the bulk of the seeds along with the ribs and contains the highest concentration of Capsaicin, the Heat of the chile. These portions of dry chiles are usually removed because they will cause whatever you make to become bitter. Next the chiles are toasted in a medium hot pan until they start to change color and you smell the rich aroma of the chiles filling the kitchen. If they turn black, get burned, toss them they will ruin the dish. In some recipes the chiles need to be soaked in very hot water for no more than 20 minutes, any longer they get bitter, and then pureed with some of the soaking water. The puree is then strained and sauteed, in lard, to concentrate the flavor and sweeten them a bit. While this is important for sauces like a Mole and Marinades, it does not really seem to make a whole lot of difference in a soup. I skipped this process and chopped up the toasted chiles and ground them into a powder in my spice grinder, saved a lot of time. Read the recipe, gather your ingredients and do all the Prep first. Get all cutting, chopping and measuring done for the Pozole before you begin. The Garnish can be dealt with while the Stock/Soup cooks. Next we make a Stock, well actually a Broth since we are using Meat and not just Bones, and cook the Meat that will be eaten in the soup. If you plan to use Smoked Meat, you will need to make a Stock with bones. You can use Chicken Backs, Pork or Beef Bones, 2Lbs or so, that you have accumulated of purchased from your Butcher.

Heat a 4Qt pot over high heat and add 2-3Tbs Fat of your choice and brown the meat, remove it to a plate and if there is a lot of additional fat rendered remove some, keep it, until you are left with about 2Tbs in the pot. At this point add the vegetables and saute them until golden. If the Garlic Cloves are getting too brown, remove and add back later. I ALWAYS sweat or saute my aromatic vegetables for soups and stocks because it creates and concentrates a ton of flavor that you can't get by adding raw veg to soup. For light colored soups, just sweat them over med/low heat until softened a bit. For dark soups saute until golden or even brown. Time to add the Water, fairly quickly as it's going to spit and pop, and the herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the brown goodness that accumulated on the bottom of the pot. Add the meat to the pot, bring everything just barely to bubbling, reduce the heat to low and skim any floating scum. Cover the pot and simmer until the meat is tender and easily removed from the bones. If the level has dropped add some water. Now cooked, remove the meat to cool until it can be handled. Strain the stock into another pot, to remove the veggies, and keep warm. This stock contains little Salt so the flavor will be flat and not that good, we will fix this later. Reheat the 4Qt pot and add 2-3Tbs of the reserved fat. Add the remaining Onions, Celery and Tomato Paste. Saute these just until the tomato paste begins to darken. Add the Garlic and saute another minute. Add the Stock and all remaining ingredients, Except the Meat. Bring to a boil reduce the heat to low and simmer the until the Celery, Onions and Posole are tender but still firm. Adjust seasoning adding more Salt and Pepper to taste. Add the meat to the soup, turn up the heat, bring the soup back to a simmer and Serve in big bowls with all the Garnishes on the side so everybody can customize the Pazole to their tastes...The Recipe Serves 4-6...Enjoy!...JJ

Inkjunkie...Since the Mrs' is allergic to Tomatoes. Leave out the Tomatoes and Paste and replace it 2 Cups of Diced Zucchini or Yellow Squash for bulk and mouth feel of diced tomato and 1-2 Tablespoons Wine Vinegar for the acidity...JJ

Pozole Rojo

Stock/Broth

3-4Lbs Chicken on the Bone or 5-6Lbs Pork Country Style Ribs, Trotters and Fresh Hocks. (If just using CSR's 3-4Lbs is plenty)

1Lrg Onion (8oz), Chopped

1Lrg Rib Celery, Chopped

1Lrg Carrot, Chopped

3ea Whole Cloves Garlic

2ea Sprigs Thyme

1ea Bayleaf

5ea Stems of Cilantro

1tsp Kosher Salt

8Cups Water, or to cover meat.

The Soup Ingredients

2ea Ancho or Mulato Chiles

1ea Pasilla Chile

1ea Guajillo Chiles

Other Chiles as desired totaling 1-2oz

2C Diced Onions (1Lrg)

2C Diced Celery (2-3 Ribs)

2T Tomato Paste

3ea Cloves Garlic, minced

1tsp Fresh Thyme Leave (2-3 Sprigs)

1tsp Dry Mexican Oregano, or other.

2-3tsp Kosher Salt

2tsp Sugar

1tsp Grnd Black Pepper

1/2tsp Grnd Cinnamon (1/2 Small Stick)

1/4tsp Grnd Cloves (4-5 Whole)

1/4tsp Grnd Cumin, or more to taste (1/2tsp Whole Cumin)

1-14oz Can Diced Tomatoes

2-30oz Cans Posole, drained 

The Garnishes

Sliced Red Radishes

Diced Sweet Onion

Shredded Cabbage

Diced Avocado

Lime Wedges

Cilantro Leaves

Queso Fresco or other Grated Cheese (Jack,Cheddar, Etc.)

Crema* or Sour Cream

Crema (Mexican Style Sour Cream)

2C Heavy Cream

2T Buttermilk

Warm the Hvy Cream to 90°F.

Stir in the Buttermilk.

Pour the mixture in a clean, dry jar.

Place the lid loosely on top and let it ferment 24 hours, not just overnight, in a warm place.

If thickened,Tighten the lid, shake it up and refrigerate overnight before using.

If not thickened, try adding 2T more Buttermilk and let rest another 24 hours.

For use, stir the Crema and drizzle over Pozole or anything that you like to top with Sour Cream.

Crema is nicely Tangy but not as sour as Sour Cream.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky