Chuck Eye Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
About 6 months ago the meat cutter at a local grocery saw me with 4 chuck roast in my cart .
He asked me if I ever had chuck eye steak . Nope . He says " like a Ribeye " . I'm thinking sure it is .
Well I broke down and tried them about 2 weeks ago . I'm hooked . Done them 3 times since . These things are so tender . The first ones I did , I didn't know what to expect . So I put them in the SV @ 132 for 4 hours . Then into a hot cast iron grill pan my kids got me for fathers day ( love that thing ) . This is how the first ones came out .
Out of the SV dried off and into a hot pan .
20190623_185644.jpg 20190623_185833.jpg
Just a little past how I like it , but really tender .
20190623_191008.jpg

Second cook , I went on the weber indirect with some mesquite chunks . Then over the coals .
20190707_184624.jpg 20190707_185116.jpg
No cut pic of this . I was hungry and the smell was killing me . The smoke flavor on these was awesome . Made up for the lack of char .
20190707_185644.jpg

Last night was the best . Straight on the HOT coals . So tender . Bearcarver Bearcarver told me they like to fall apart when grilling . He was right . Had to careful .
This is the way I like to do baked taters . Coat the spuds in olive oil , then kosher salt . Wrap in foil , then right in the coals . Scrub then off good first , because the skin is incredible .
20190715_170330.jpg 20190715_170427.jpg

20190715_173247.jpg
Might as well throw the corn on too .
20190715_175549.jpg
OK , corn and taters are done . Time for some steaks
20190707_152419.jpg
Burn the grate off , move the sides . Throw the meat on .
20190715_181955.jpg
No lid ! One time flip .
20190715_182514.jpg
These were so good . Tender , juicy and the flavor is awesome .
Best out of the 3 cooks . The corn and taters come out great like that also .
20190715_183909.jpg
So if you see chuck eye Steaks , give them a try .
Thanks for lookin .

Attachments

• 20190707_152334.jpg
    20190707_152334.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190707_152338.jpg
    20190707_152338.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 55
Darn upside down pics , thought I took them out .

Darn upside down pics , thought I took them out .

Everything looks Great !!
I knew you'd like them!
Wait a minute---I'm still a little dizzy from standing on my head---I'll be OK !!LOL
Nice Job Rich!!
Like.
Now I'm hungry again!!

Bear

Last edited:
they are excellent steaks and yours look great, but don't be telling to many people or you won't find them when you go looking for them at the store, you only get a couple out of each chuck roll. they come from the transition area between the chuck and rib eye.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Looks great chop excellent cook. I've seen chuck roast and chuck steak but no eye. I wonder if they go by a different name around here.

Point for sure.
Chris

Damn that all looks really good.
Like!

Don't think I've ever had an actual Chuck Steak. I'll keep an eye out for them.
I have taken a Chuck Roast and cooked it as a steak, heavy sear both sides and Medium, not bad.

Don't get the "Chuck Steak".
They're nothing like the "Chuck Eye Steak".
First time I ever saw them was a couple years ago----"MossyMo" used to eat them like Crazy in North Dakota. I guess he still does.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great chop excellent cook. I've seen chuck roast and chuck steak but no eye. I wonder if they go by a different name around here.

Point for sure.
Chris
sometimes they're called chuck fillet's, chuck delmonicos, chuck eye steak, if you know your butcher ask him/her, a lot of times they will save them for customers and they never make them to the case.

Oh my goodness chopsaw...that all looks soooo good.
We'll be trying chuck eye steaks very, very soon too.
Thanks bud . Try the taters like that too . Yukon gold works great with that method .
Damn that all looks really good.
Like!
Thanks Chile . Appreciate that comment .
Chris , thanks bud . Yeah , Bear and Jim have you covered . Chuck Eye Steak .
They also have chuck tenders , not the same either .

Chuck Eye seems as tender as filet mignon. It's been at least three years since I've grilled any because I can never find them. It was a butcher at a store where I no longer shop on a regular basis that turned me on to them. They carried them for a while before I bought my first ones because "chuck" in the name made me think it would be tough. Boy, what I wrong!

A great big LIKE!

Don't get the "Chuck Steak".
They're nothing like the "Chuck Eye Steak".
First time I ever saw them was a couple years ago----"MossyMo" used to eat them like Crazy in North Dakota. I guess he still does.

Bear

We get chuck steak made when we butcher. Maybe not a tender but still a great cut of steak. I will try SV a couple.

We get chuck steak made when we butcher. Maybe not as tender but still a great cut of steak. I will try SV a couple.

Yup---Chuck Steak, I'm sure would be Great with SV, because a Chuck Roast is.
I wouldn't SV Chuck "Eye" Steaks, but I guess the guys who SV Ribeyes would. LOL

Bear

Well I am back from the store, they did not have chuck eyes (butcher says they go as fast as they are put out) but I got a sweet chuck steak that looks really nice so it's in the vacuum marinater and going on the grill with the corn on the cob (in the husk after being soaked for an hour or so - basically steamed) and baked potato with butter and sour cream!

I will start a new thread and post pics later (might be tomorrow as I will be in a food coma!) :emoji_astonished:

actually the bottom piece of the chuck steak is a chuck eye steak, if you look close at you can pick it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky