Christmas Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by minnjeff, Dec 28, 2013.

1. So, this was the first time I ever smoked a turkey. It was a 14 lb turkey. I used a webber smoker. I stuck to Jeff's rub, bacon butter and brine recipes to a "T". I thawed turkey in a cooler for 3 days(slow thaw). Placed in brine in clean cooler. I had to use 5 gallons of distilled water to completely cover turkey in brine. After 24 hours in brine, I prepared smoker, rinsed bird, patted dry, placed bacon butter in and on turkey with the help of a 6 year old, who loved doing this. Once smoker was holding steady at 225 degrees (1 hour), I placed bird in smoker. I used a combo of Apple and Cherry wood for smoke. After 2 hours, I flipped bird, then after another 2 hours, I flipped bird again. At 5 hours, I basted with Jeff's baste recipe and again at 6 hours. I quit adding wood after 4 hours.

This bird came out excellent. Best, moistest, tastiest turkey ever and it was a HUGE hit amongst 25+ family members.

Smoking will now be our new family Christmas tradition.

I will attempt to get pictures here shortly.

disco likes this.
  2. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

:drool: Man the turkey looks great!!!! ShoneyBoy

3. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So next year it'll be two turkeys, then three...... When ya master the art it only grows. Then ya get fancy with turkeys AND hams.... LOL

Looks like a great bird and I bet a great family Christmas Dinner

minnjeff likes this.
  4. Thanks. Shone. It was amazing. Flavorful. Moist. Skin was good. Bacon/butter rub flavor was throughout the bird.

5. Thanks Foam. It was amazing and my brother is already working on a bigger smoker with off set wood box for next year. Lol

6. That's exciting and I bet it was delicious! Happy Holidays!!!! Cheers! - Leah

7. Thanks Leah. It was amazing. Happy Holidays and all the best in. 2014 for you and yours as well.

Happy Smoking.

8. Thanks Leah. It was amazing. Happy Holidays and all the best in. 2014 for you and yours as well.

Happy Smoking.

9. foamheart

Yeppers you've got the itch..... neither rain snow sleet or hail will be able to slow down your need to smell smoke on the breeze!

Welcome to the addiction.

10. You got that right Foam. My whole family is now addicted to the aroma and flavors. Lol

11. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking bird! Extra points for braving the elements to serve up that turkey! You Minnesota smokers are tough! 

Brian

12. Thanks BDS. No smoking for the next couple days. -40 wind chills. Lol

13. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks delicious. Even better was getting your 6 year old to help. Some of my favourite memories are doing things with my Dad and you are giving your son that gift. Super!

Disco

14. Funny thing Disco. It was my 6 year old niece. She was watching me with the bacon butter with her nose curled up. After I showed her how I was putting it on and let her try it, she was thrilled. AND, with her smaller hands, she was able to get between the skin and meat of the bird a lot easier than me without tearing the skin. Lol. She loved it. I did not get a pic of her cuz my hands were full of bacon butter. Haha

15. foamheart

Give that crack away to the kids and get 'em hooked at a young age! Making family converts at the kids table, that's the way to bring 'em up.

16. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sorry, I'll learn to read next time. It is still great cooking with family.

Disco

17. foamheart

<= passes Disco a program, ya can't tell the players without a program.

18. No worries Disco. I did not specify. As you said, awesome cooking with and for the family. It was a privilege. Thanks for your feedback. That's why we post here. :drool:yahoo::sausage: