Christmas Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

minnjeff

Original poster
So, this was the first time I ever smoked a turkey. It was a 14 lb turkey. I used a webber smoker. I stuck to Jeff's rub, bacon butter and brine recipes to a "T". I thawed turkey in a cooler for 3 days(slow thaw). Placed in brine in clean cooler. I had to use 5 gallons of distilled water to completely cover turkey in brine. After 24 hours in brine, I prepared smoker, rinsed bird, patted dry, placed bacon butter in and on turkey with the help of a 6 year old, who loved doing this. Once smoker was holding steady at 225 degrees (1 hour), I placed bird in smoker. I used a combo of Apple and Cherry wood for smoke. After 2 hours, I flipped bird, then after another 2 hours, I flipped bird again. At 5 hours, I basted with Jeff's baste recipe and again at 6 hours. I quit adding wood after 4 hours.

This bird came out excellent. Best, moistest, tastiest turkey ever and it was a HUGE hit amongst 25+ family members.

Smoking will now be our new family Christmas tradition.

I will attempt to get pictures here shortly.

Reactions: disco
Great looking bird! Extra points for braving the elements to serve up that turkey! You Minnesota smokers are tough! 

Brian

That looks delicious. Even better was getting your 6 year old to help. Some of my favourite memories are doing things with my Dad and you are giving your son that gift. Super!

Disco

Funny thing Disco. It was my 6 year old niece. She was watching me with the bacon butter with her nose curled up. After I showed her how I was putting it on and let her try it, she was thrilled. AND, with her smaller hands, she was able to get between the skin and meat of the bird a lot easier than me without tearing the skin. Lol. She loved it. I did not get a pic of her cuz my hands were full of bacon butter. Haha

Funny thing Disco. It was my 6 year old niece. She was watching me with the bacon butter with her nose curled up. After I showed her how I was putting it on and let her try it, she was thrilled. AND, with her smaller hands, she was able to get between the skin and meat of the bird a lot easier than me without tearing the skin. Lol. She loved it. I did not get a pic of her cuz my hands were full of bacon butter. Haha
Give that crack away to the kids and get 'em hooked at a young age! Making family converts at the kids table, that's the way to bring 'em up.

Sorry, I'll learn to read next time. It is still great cooking with family.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky