Christmas smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelton93

Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Buhl Idaho
I'm cooking meat for 29 people on cmas day. They wanted 2 kinds so was thinking tri tip and pulled pork. What 2 would be a good route? Was thinking I could do a brisket flat also. Any ideas on how much meat per person and need some leftovers for evening snack.

6oz each cooked should be good. The math...JJ

PP...6oz X 29 = 174oz / 16 = 10.9~11lbs / .5yield = 22lbs Raw Pork needed.
TT...6oz X 29 = 174oz / 16 = 11lbs / .7yield = 15.7~16lbs Raw Tri-Tip needed.

Is a brisket or tri tip a better cut? Thanks for advice on how much. What about injecting for more flavor? It's usually up to temp within the 4 hour span.

Tri-Tip taken to an IT of 125-135 with a rest is guaranteed to be juicy. Brisket, done right, is great as well but much more tempermental. Injection is your choice. Neither really need it unless there is a particular flavor you want in the meat...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky