Christmas Smoked New York Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Today was the practice run for smoking prime rib for my office this week. I'm a picture story teller so hope you don't mind the over load of pics.

Today's dinner started of by broiling the removed ribs from the NY Roast and then simmering them in beef stock & red wine and then finished with aromatics for the last 1.5 hours.
AUJUS-02.JPG

The main dish, trimmed and dusted with sea salt late last night.
NYR-P1.JPG

Now all spiced up, black pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, paprika, and red pepper.
NYR-P2.JPG

I put it on the pellet smoker at 235 deg and smoked till 120 deg internal temp.
NYR-P3.JPG

At 120 internal deg, I moved over to the BBQ with my Grill Grates turned over to reverse sear. It doesn't take long to sear it up....just about 5 minutes rotating it around on all sides
NYR-P4.JPG

Once is was all seared up, I put it in the warming drawer at 180 deg to finish the other sides. Garlic mash, pan roasted broccoli, & baby bellas.
DinDin-02.JPG

These were blanched in boiling water (with salt, garlic and onion) for 4 min, then pan seared with a dab of butter and olive oil.
DinDin-03.JPG

Its time to eat.......
DinDin-01.JPG

Din Din all ready.....
NYR-D1.JPG

A close up of the star....
NYR-D2.JPG

Fingers crossed it looks good after the cut..... :-)
NYR-D3.JPG

And the full money shot: the plate as consumed...
NYR-D4.JPG

As I mentioned, at the beginning, I'm smoking a whole prime rib later this week so I'm feeling much better after a successful "dry" run.

That looks Great! Here I am sitting at the computer, having a stale cookie with my coffee getting ready for the muzzle loader late season opener, then I see this. Pictures are so good I can almost smell the aroma. Now, I've got to go sit in a frozen tree this morning with those images in my head and my stomach growling. Thanks.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Thanks, I have cooked my roasts this way for several years and it as not let me down.

Doubles shooter, I wish I had a late muzzle loader hunt to go on, but when you get that whole venison loin, pan sear it by rolling it in sizzling grape seed oil to MR and then simmer some lingon berry jam with some red wine to drizzle over it...well simmer the sauce first then the loin. The loin will take about 5 to 7 min, as the are thin and delicate. Oh, If it makes you feel better it was 26 deg out side while I was searing the NY...

Last edited:
dirtsailor2003-I use a modified receipt from a French cook book I got about 25 years ago (but it is similar). I roast the ribs (2 to 3) under the gas broiler (very hot) to sear the meat then I very lightly simmer (covered) the bones in the 32 oz of beef stock. 1.5 cups of red wine, and 3 to 4 tbsp. of soy sauce (to salt taste). I let this simmer for at least 5 hours, preferably for 8 hours. The point of a long simmer is to draw out the marrow from the bones (just goodness). After the 5 -8 hours, I drop a whole onion (sweet) in with a bay leaf, ¼ tsp each of rosemary, thyme, & 2 cloves of garlic. I let this simmer for 2 hours, then I drop the carrots and celery in for the last hour to 1.5 hours. (The French cook book says you don’t want the carrots and celery to get mushy because they cause a flat taste once they start to break down). I then strain it and use a plugged grease cup (not sure what you call it) to get all the fat out.

When I smoke my Prime Rib (3.5 to 4 hours), I do put a pan under the meat with onion, carrots, celery, a clove of garlic with 2 to 3 cups of beef stock to smoke for about 2 hours. Then, I pull it off and boil it in the pan with another cup or so of stock for 5 or so minutes to draw all the flavor out then add it to the pot with the ribs….very similar to chef jimmyjs recipe....except for the tomato paste.

I use beer in my poultry gravy though…

Last edited:
Well had the office staff over last night, 15 in total......I didn't get a lot of pics, cause it a bit of an effort to have everything ready at the same time for a 15 Top....

Here is the grass feed Black Angus
TheMainCourse-GrassFeedFromButcher.JPG

Here it is trimmed & prepped to go on the smoker...
TheMainCourse-ReadyforSmoking.JPG

And finally the served version (added some diced red pepper to the broccoli....:-)
AtTheTable-s.jpg

Reactions: Noahjb
The meal was for my appreciation for them. A couple years ago I took a chance (opportunity) to "rebuild" a failing office and each have chosen to come join the company I work for to help make it a successful program (I've known many of them for more than 20 years as competitors)! A little effort on my part to provide a nice meal is the very least I can do......

The meal was for my appreciation for them. A couple years ago I took a chance (opportunity) to "rebuild" a failing office and each have chosen to come join the company I work for to help make it a successful program (I've known many of them for more than 20 years as competitors)! A little effort on my part to provide a nice meal is the very least I can do......
Gotcha,but you've got one thing wrong.It wasn't a meal,it was fine dining.

Fine Dining indeed!
I will be making a Beef Rib Roast later today, but in the oven. Too cold for me outside.
It's been 3 years since I've been able to buy and cooked a prime rib. That time I did it on the smoker.
It was awesome! I did the reversed sear thing then, and will be doing it again today.

Sure hopes it turns out as nice as your pics! Red edge to edge. YES!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky