Christmas Ham - Suggestions Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Seems there are a lot of different ways to buy your ham so I want to put my specs on here and have you guys provide suggestions. I want to do a smoked ham for Christmas.

Fresh (uncooked), skin on, shank hock on, city smoked.

Is there any best way to smoke this ham? Anything to stay away from? Any good threads on here that would be good for this ham? Any suggestions?

I'm likely going to be using hickory.

Bear has multiple double smoked hams links. He’s my go to for ideas

• Love
Reactions: negolien
That is a very helpful thread. Question I have though is it seems everything I'm reading says to use fully cooked hams but the guy we get our ham from says they are not cooked. What is the reasoning behind trying to get one already cooked? I'm assuming it has something to do with increased smoke time but I could be wrong.

Fresh ham will not taste like ham unless you cure it if I'm reading your question right, also as far as I know smoked hams are already cooked but make great double smoked hams

Reactions: chopsaw
Fresh ham will not taste like ham unless you cure it if I'm reading your question right, also as far as I know smoked hams are already cooked but make great double smoked hams

Well that's what I thought but maybe there is confusion with the guy my wife was asking questions to. He said it is city smoked. Per the guy "it's a Christmas ham" so I would think it should taste like ham.

Do you have a picture of it? My guess is it's cured but wasn't fully smoked

Well that's what I thought but maybe there is confusion with the guy my wife was asking questions to. He said it is city smoked. Per the guy "it's a Christmas ham" so I would think it should taste like ham.
Yes i believe city hams are cured and smoked and ready to eat, would work good for double smoked

Do you have a picture of it? My guess is it's cured but wasn't fully smoked

EjXfqEn.jpg

It looks cured and Smoked. I'd just double smoke it to bring to temp.and enjoy

You won't be disappointed in a double smoked ham done bearcarvers way!

Ryan

It looks cured and Smoked. I'd just double smoke it to bring to temp.and enjoy
Agree, but make sure you enter it in the December Throwdown...👍

Reactions: bmudd14474
As others have said it is cured and cooked. Just need to reheat. SmokyMose SmokyMose just did one. If you search double smoked ham will find what you need.

ok all good, I got this. I'm going to follow Bear's process for second 2 hams of the 4 ham smoke thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky