Chimayo Chile Rib Eyes & Chipotle Mashed Potatoes (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chipotle gravy?:!!! That is crazy like a fox kind of thinking.
That plate is to die for. I am so hungry right now!
Very much appreciate it. I actually got the idea for the gravy from a recipe that incorporated the chilis in adobo sauce right into the taters. I liked the idea but really didn't want pink mashed potatoes do decided to work it into the gravy...and it worked great!!

Robert

Nicely done Robert. I agree thinner steaks are tougher to get right, but you nailed it.
Thanks so much Chris. I actually cut those to have smaller steaks around if it was only going to be me eating but decided to go ahead and do two smaller ones for this meal instead of one large steak. Honestly don't have a clue why though :emoji_laughing: I just know that a thicker steak is much more forgiving.

Robert

Now you've gone and done it Robert. Damn this makes me hungry! Love how that meal works together. Very little chance of finding Chimayo Chile in Indiana but that's ok. Simple good gravy is always a welcome addition. Steaks, yup done to perfection as usual.
I truly appreciate the kind words Matt. It was a pretty simple meal that just happened to come out well. As for the Chimayo pepper, you can get it from Amazon. That's what I did. Beware the knock-offs though. Make sure to get the real stuff...you won't be disappointed.

Robert

Reactions: schlotz
Damn Robert that looks so good I would eat it with just my face. No utensils needed. Seriously that looks over the top. Very nice!
Thanks John!! You'd fit right in around here. We don't need no stinkin' knives or forks. Just tear into it and have a field day :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks fantastic Robert!
I’m going to have to try the gravy recipe!
I could eat mashed potato’s & gravy for dinner every night.
That ribeye sure looks good too!
Looks perfectly done, great plated photo!
Thanks so much Al. I'm with you on the mashed taters and gravy. That's a food group in and of itself but that chipotle gravy was a chart topper!! Never imagined a gravy could bring that much life to a meal but it certainly did.

Robert

Great dinner you got there.
I like to use a chile-spice rub for skirt and flank steaks, but always use only salt for ribeyes. Now you got me thinking about trying a rub on individual steaks also.
Very much appreciate it. A word of caution though. as great as the pepper worked with the steak, be gentle and don't overdo it. As noted, i got a little carried away with the spice mix and lost some of the beef flavor. Almost over powered it versus just enhancing it.

Robert

Incredible as always Robert! I definitely want to try that gravy! Mmmm, awesome post has me hungry!
Thanks Jed!! That gravy was pretty much the star of the show. Truly an over-the-top adaptation of a comfort food staple.

Robert

Robert the seared outer of that steak with the chile looks PHENOMENAL!! It’s on my list to order
Very much appreciate it Jeff. The sear did come out well and I love the additional textural component it adds to a steak, as well as a nice flavor :emoji_wink: That Chimayo Pepper is legit and knowing you like to do a lot of meals along these lines, I highly recommend it.

Robert

Excellent job!
Thank you Justin!!
And I always have the proper dinner table etiquette.
Yes sir you do, and that's one reason we love having you here. Teach those young guys the proper way to conduct themselves at the supper table :emoji_laughing: Etiquette and of course proper dental hygiene :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Reactions: yankee2bbq
This picture for sure. Just a great looking plate of food , and the gravy , I am there
I very much appreciate it David. This meal was about as simple as it gets but we were happy with the results and I was a bit surprised with how it came out looking. Honestly, I had no intention of posting it till I pulled the pics off the phone. Came out much better than anticipated.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Man that looks awesome Robert. Nice use of the chile. I wish I had your skills of putting together spice rubs.
Thanks so much Brian. I have all the spice mix and rub recipes written down and saved. If there are any you'd like to have, just let me know. Most have been posted here but are gonna be buried in other threads. I do need to take some time and revamp a couple of them but that's easy stuff. Lemme know if I can help....

Robert

Perfect looking plate! That gravy sounds too good, and steaks cooked perfectly. Two thumbs up for another picture perfect post Robert :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Great looking meal and write up. Like others have said....I love me some taters and gravy. And your gravy sounds mighty interesting. And well the rest of the meal.....Perfection.
Jim

Perfect looking plate! That gravy sounds too good, and steaks cooked perfectly. Two thumbs up for another picture perfect post Robe
Thanks so much Tyler. I was happy with the way it all came together being that it was all laid out in advance and finished in a matter of about 5 minutes.

Robert

Great looking meal and write up. Like others have said....I love me some taters and gravy. And your gravy sounds mighty interesting. And well the rest of the meal.....Perfection
Thank you Jim. I appreciate it sir. I'm a gravy junkie from the outset but you add taters, I'm in Heaven!! I could easily eat taters and gravy pretty much every night.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking steak Robert, you nailed it regardless of thickness! Sounds like the line forms behind me for a plate!

The Chimayo chile powder sounds like something up my alley, I’m gonna have to give that a go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky