Chili Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was watching you cook that Ribeye and I loved that song Worried Man Blues!
Thanks. I saw your chat message but couldn't figure out how to respond. I got a couple more in the works.

But back to chili ...
I'm from Texas, and also lived in New Mexico for several years. I've had it made with almost everything: goat, alligator, even veggie chili. For the base, I like to use full-bodied, dried red chile peppers and tomatoes. So chile usually dominates my chili, and there is little point of using premium or smoked meats. I like the green New Mexican chiles too but save them for other uses, including green chile stew (note, this is a stew made with chiles, not a chili).

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Since it that time of year thought be be fun to share chili recipes or maybe have a Feb Chili Throw Down. It finally cold here in north Texas not that I complaining about all the spring weather we had. I been mostly using Jake's recipe which is a winner. I know chili recipes can be a secret but share if you can.
Just wondering here...what is the difference between chili and chili colorado?Reason why I ask is that I make both pretty much same.
Kit

Since it that time of year thought be be fun to share chili recipes or maybe have a Feb Chili Throw Down. It finally cold here in north Texas not that I complaining about all the spring weather we had. I been mostly using Jake's recipe which is a winner. I know chili recipes can be a secret but share if you can.
I made OTT (over the top) chili with a rcipe bastardized from the internet. Was the best i ever had. thought i posted here. will search for it.
just had a bowl from the freezer and it still rocked. IMG-2988.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2984 (1).jpg
    IMG-2984 (1).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 22

Google skyline chili. Apparently its a big thing up there. I tried the canned stuff over spaghetti noodles but wasn't a big fan. Too sweet for my liking. @jcam222 is from up there he might be able to throw in more info.
I get that. Skyline is not sweet per se but it's got that cinnamon/allspice/clove note. I like it but also make all sorts of different chilis. Heads up there is bunch of minced onion under all that cheese and that really makes it for us.

edmonds edmonds Totally agree on using chilis but I like the convenience of powder. LOVE NM red, my current fave. Wife loves the pasilla. Really dark and fruity and less heat.

Kid you not, having Wendy's style chili tonight. Snow day for the youngest, 10F here, and still under Winter Storm Warning. Here's is what I use but I scaled it back for 1lb GB, make the GB into patties and cook like hamburgers (got this tip from a Franchise owner, they use the broken burgers), deglaze pan with the water for the recipe and add 1/2tsp Accent/msg.

https://topsecretrecipes.com/wendys-chili-copycat-recipe.html

Kid you not, having Wendy's style chili tonight. Snow day for the youngest, 10F here, and still under Winter Storm Warning. Here's is what I use but I scaled it back for 1lb GB, make the GB into patties and cook like hamburgers
I would be interested how this turns out. My last chili made smash burgers for the meat. Worked really well.

Just wondering here...what is the difference between chili and chili colorado?Reason why I ask is that I make both pretty much same.
Kit
Damfino but:
To me Chili Colorado has salsa mixed in.
I use Trader Joes Pepito Salsa.
Unique and really good remarks.

Reactions: kit s
I get that. Skyline is not sweet per se but it's got that cinnamon/allspice/clove note.

Many years ago when I was in Cincinnati I went to the original restaurant where Cincinnati Skyline Chili was first invented.

A fellow countryman invented it, so I figured what the heck, I will give it a try. Chili on spaghetti. Sounded interesting.

I should have known a Greek would put cinnamon in it. I nearly gagged.

In my opinion, cinnamon/allspice/clove should never be the main ingredients in chili.

Sincerely, no offense to all you Cincinnatians,

John

Last edited:
Sometimes you want a very simple yet tasty chili that doesn't keep you busy in the kitchen. Well in those cases here is what we do.

Smoked Brisket Chili - simple

Ingredients:

1-2 lb smoked brisket, diced into 1/2" cubes
30 ozs Brook's Mild Chili Beans w/ Chili Sauce, 2 cans
30 ozs Joan of Ark Spicy Chili Beans, w/ seasoning, 2 cans
15 ozs Hunts Tomato Sauce, 1 can
1 pkg Brook's Secret Chili Seasoning Original
cheddar cheese, shredded, serve on top

Add cayenne or more chili powder to suit your heat preference

Directions:

1. Dice up smoked brisket from the freezer.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
3. Simmer on LOW for ~2 hours. It should be just barely bubbling. Stir every 30 min.
4. Remove heat and let sit for 1 hour. Reheat to serve.
5. Serve with shredded cheese on top.

Notes:
Leftovers freeze well, save in meal sized portions, vacuum packed.

Last edited:
I get that. Skyline is not sweet per se but it's got that cinnamon/allspice/clove note.
In my opinion, cinnamon/allspice/clove should never be the main ingredients in chili.

That's exactly what it was! The cinnamon/allspice/clove taste that I got off of it. My brother in law raved about it and bugged me to try it. Bought a can for $5 and did the traditional over the top of spaghetti noodles and a pile of cheese. Threw the whole thing away! I'm not knocking it just wasn't for me.

First ya gotta figure out what type chili ya wanta make. Texas red, Green, White, or with beans (and that right there is always a good argument). You grinding or choppin? Dried or fresh peppers? ETC, ETC, ETC. I have back in the olden days, cooked for CASI points, and have a couple of trophies. Nothing special though. This is what I call chili, I have never made a pot big eough so I have any left overs and I have cooked chili in these pots occassionally. LOL... you can tell it wasn't recently ( they also cook jambalaya real well too).

001 (2).JPG

My recipe was very selddon ever given alway, it was my POP's and he carried the recipe in his wallet ti the day he died. Its just basic chili, definately not hot. You like it hot add your own heat too it so everyone who doesn't can enjoy it also.

Brianj../.are you talking just chili or chili with beans (con carney) ? To m,e there is a difference. But boy oh boy do I like both.

Unless I missed it...has anyone posted a white chili recipe?

Ryan

Sincerely, no offense to all you Cincinnatians,
John
That's exactly what it was! The cinnamon/allspice/clove taste that I got off of it. My brother in law raved about it and bugged me to try it. Bought a can for $5 and did the traditional over the top of spaghetti noodles and a pile of cheese. Threw the whole thing away! I'm not knocking it just wasn't for me.

Definitely a different take on chili. For a long time I just ate their hot dogs. Brother got me doing the spaghetti but was not impressed. I started to wonder why the hot dog was so much better. I later learned the locals (I'm in Ohio but 5 hours from Cincy) almost always get the "5 way" which includes the minced onion and and THAT was when I started to like it. Chili dog meets spaghetti. We get packets and crock pot it. Dare you try again but go 5 way and hot sauce if you are into it. Not sure if you can get the packets at the store but can send some if anyone wants.

That being said, Packo's walks all over Skyline but is best on hot dogs.

This is probably old news to many on the forum, but I was surprised and delighted to find that the winning recipes from every World Championship Chili Cookoff--going all the way back to 1967--are available online.

World Championship Chili Cookoff winning recipes

Much like the ICS contest recipes here's some of the winning CASI recipes from Terlingua

Any love for Green Chili? Like with pork butt, chile's, tomatillos, green onion etc?
View attachment 523191
We eat it as a stand alone chili, and for smothering things like breakfast burrito's or enchiladas.
View attachment 523192
HERE is the full write-up. The key is roasting the spices atop the ground pork rather than the standard 'dump' of spices while cooking
Wish my family would eat hot stuff; I'd be all over that! I may make it anyway, get my fill then share with neighbors that will appreciate it!

Rick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky