Chile's Braised Squirrel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Last Winter my son and I hit the forests gunning for Peter Cotton Tail & Squirrel Nutkin.
Didn't see Peter, but Nutkin and his buddies abounded and we limited on the tree rats.

Chile's Braised Squirrel

3-4 Squirrels per person
I use the forelegs, hindquarters, lower back and discard the upper back & ribcage.
One (1) small onion diced
1/2 cup of flour
Spices
One (1) can, Rotel tomatos (optional)

Dredge the squirrel in flour/spices.
I use sea salt and garlic powder.
In a large skillet add just enough oil to brown the pieces.
Use whatever oil/butter you like, I like bacon grease.

Brown the squirrel on both sides with the onions.
You may want to move pieces around to cook evenly.
5SYrREu.jpg

Lower the heat, add Rotel & quickly add enough water to just almost cover the pieces.
79yVOCg.jpg

Bring to a slow simmer and cook covered for 1.5 hours.
M9g3mgP.jpg

Devour plain or serve over rice.
h8Chnvq.jpg

Money shots, falling off the bones goodness.
5TB5JFw.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Squirrel is tasty but been years for me as well. Grandma made them very similar to your's but took them more of an Italian direction. Fairly thick tomato sauce and served over Polenta with lots of Pecorino Cheese...JJ

Your Grandma's Italian twist sounds great, thats one way I've never had them.
And I normally could go on like Bubba and shrimp recipes in Forest Gump, but with Squirrel recipes.

Sounds great, I love a good polenta.

Sorry I'm Late!!

Just found this one!!

Looks Great !!
icon14.gif

Mighty Tasty!
drool.gif
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I Love Squirrel, and I haven't had any for years. 

I never had the patience to clean them.

I used to take my GrandPop Squirrel hunting, and give him the Squirrels.

Then he'd skin & clean them, and my GrandMom would make "Squirrel Pies", and they'd always invite me to Dinner!!!

Sometimes I went without him, but I would drop off the squirrels at his house.

Couple days later I'd get a Phone call---"Hey Chunny" (Dutchy)  "You coming to Dinner--We got Squirrel Pie!!"

Those were Great Days!!!

Bear

Yum! Nice looking meal there!

I haven't had squirrel for a few years but we'd cook them the same way. I'm just trying to remember what I liked better; Red or Grey. Both very good but it seems I liked one a little better.

Yum! Nice looking meal there!

I haven't had squirrel for a few years but we'd cook them the same way. I'm just trying to remember what I liked better; Red or Grey. Both very good but it seems I liked one a little better.
Around here, Red Squirrels aren't much bigger than Chipmunks.

Probably take about a Dozen for one Pie.

I think they taste about the same---Grandpop used to say, "Not much meat on them, but Darn good Pickin' ".

Bear

Around here, Red Squirrels aren't much bigger than Chipmunks.

Probably take about a Dozen for one Pie.

I think they taste about the same---Grandpop used to say, "Not much meat on them, but Darn good Pickin' ".

Bear
In the summer and early fall all I ever see are the little reds too but as soon as the cold snaps and/or get a little snow on the ground the monster reds come out, a lot of times to scavenge under the bird feeders.

Then along comes a chipmunk sized one and chases it away, makes me laugh every time.

Good eating for sure! 'Some' people I know say "It takes 4 hours in the oven to get them tender so I quit messing with them." I've never had that problem, but I've never put them in the oven either.

In the summer and early fall all I ever see are the little reds too but as soon as the cold snaps and/or get a little snow on the ground the monster reds come out, a lot of times to scavenge under the bird feeders.

Then along comes a chipmunk sized one and chases it away, makes me laugh every time.

Good eating for sure! 'Some' people I know say "It takes 4 hours in the oven to get them tender so I quit messing with them." I've never had that problem, but I've never put them in the oven either.
I used to shoot them when they come close to my Birdfeeders, but I couldn't do it any more---Didn't have the heart to kill them any more.

So I got a Feeder with a 9 volt Shocker in it. One or two jolts, and they leave it alone.

Bear

I used to shoot them when they come close to my Birdfeeders, but I couldn't do it any more---Didn't have the heart to kill them any more.

So I got a Feeder with a 9 volt Shocker in it. One or two jolts, and they leave it alone.

Bear
I've done that a few times in the past too. Not my style anymore either, more fun to watch them from the window.

One day I was watching our usual plethora of bird feeder thieves, and decided to off one for general purposes.
Put a .22 pellet through her shoulders and she scampered 10' before falling to the ground.
I let her sit out there for awhile and her friends definitely took note, but alas, they'll be back.

Not ones to let anything we kill go to waste, little Ms. Nutkin was skinned, gutted and butchered. My son laid claim for his lunch and today I cooked it up for him.

Pan Fried & Oven Finished Squirrel
1- however many squirrels for however many people.
Generally 3 squirrels per adult is a hearty serving.
Flour
Salt
Bacon Grease

Normally I would fry some onion with it and add some other spices, but my youngest boy is kind'a picky, so plain it was.

Cut up squirrel, dredge in flour, brown in skillet, wrap in foil, bake at 350' for 30-45 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky