ChileRelleno's Chile Rellenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Chile Rellenos

Chiles
'Large' chiles, one per person.
Medium, two per person.
Small, dont bother with them.
The most commonly available and most traditional is the Pablano chile.
You can also use Hatch chiles (aka Anaheim), Cubanelles or even in pinch Bell Peppers (just say no).

Eggs
one egg for each large chile works out perfectly.
Carefully separate whites from yolks, whites will not beat stiff if even one drop of yolk is in them.

Cheese
Enough to fill all the chiles with shredded cheese.
A good soft melting cheese is a must.
A few good Mexican varieties are usually found in most large grocers or Mexican markets.
Asadero, Manchengo or Oaxaca are great Choices.

Meat (optional)
Beef, chicken, pork or crumbled Chorizo sausage.

Flour
2c flour for dredging.

Roast chiles over high heat/direct flame to char and loosen skin.
Place in plastic bag to help steam the skin loose and make them easier to peel.
Peel, then you can make a slit in the side and either de-seed them or not.
Wash, dry and then you can fill with cheese or cheese/meat.
Dredge the stuffed chiles in flour and set aside.
I often use toothpicks to hold the chiles closed.

Separate whites from yolks, whip whites till stiff, then whisk yolks into whites.
Warning!
If you get even one speck of yolk in the whites they will not whip stiff, and you'll need to start all over again separating them.

Heat oil in skillet, you need enough oil to cover at least half the chile.

Dip stuffed and floured chile in the egg batter, cover completely, fry till golden brown.

Easy Chile Sauce
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 stick of butter
1c finely chopped onion
1/2c finely chopped red or yellow bell pepper
1T minced garlic
1T chile powder
1/2t cumin
Salt to taste.

In the butter saute onion till soft, add bell pepper, garlic and seasonings.
Add the Rotel and simmer a few minutes more.
Then puree in a blender and return to the pot and hold at a slow simmer.
Garnis finished Rellenos with sauce.

Money Shot

Last edited:
Looks Tasty! One of our favorites to make in the discada. Unfortunately the large peppers this year looked horrible in the stores. So we haven't made many of our favorite pepper dishes.

points1.png

Wow!
LOL, talk about a slow burning fuse, this was posted almost two months back and all the sudden, BAM!

Theses look awesome. I love this type of foods. Do you have more recipes like this?
If you mean classic Mexican dishes, yeah, I've plenty.
Search my threads, pretty sure I've put up some of my best recipes for Green Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican rice, Frijoles/Frijoles refritos and more.

OOH! I'll bet those tasted wonderful!
Indeed good sir, indeed.

Looks Tasty! One of our favorites to make in the discada. Unfortunately the large peppers this year looked horrible in the stores. So we haven't made many of our favorite pepper dishes.

points1.png
Twas tasty, try my recipe and you'll agree... Thanks for the Point.

Quite interesting that you know what Discada cooking is, not many do unless they live in a Border State or have Mexican heritage/family/friends.
I love a traditional discada grill of various meats, but my favorite is ham cooked right next to a good chorizo so the ham infuses with the chorizo flavor, YUMMY!

Chili man you put out some good foodies.....love rellenos. You make them same way i do so must be doing something right there...lol....but always had trouble with the sauce....going to have to remember how you made yours and hopefully that will take care of that problem...cause the sauce is really about half of the dish.
kit

Just came in from the garden to search for this . Thanks for the bump , saved me some time .
Pablano peppers comin on strong . Gonna try this .

Do you whisk the eggs yolks into the whites or just fold the yolks in...thanks for the recipe!

Do you whisk the eggs yolks into the whites or just fold the yolks in...thanks for the recipe!
Separate whites from yolks, whip whites till stiff, then whisk yolks into whites.

Remember to separate each egg individually into a bowl, one speck of broken yolk in the whites ruins them, they will not beat stiff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo9414
Dang John, not sure how I missed this for so long! But that looks phenomenal & we will be trying this soon. Thanks for the step by step & recipe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky