Chile lime flank steak and chicken fajitas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Mexican flavors night at Casa Campbell. Fathead dough chorizo and cheddar empanadas with a chipotle aioli and a grilled jalapeno. Chili lime marinated chicken and flank steak fajitas on 100% cheddar shells. Poblano pepper, onion and cotija cheese with Mexican crema and a chipotle sauce. Keto refried beans made from black soy bean and chorizo. Simple salad of shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado with the crema. Pretty tasty, run out of time to do some sugar free flan. Will do that next time.

Marinade for the meat was as follows. Made a double batch of this and marinaded the chicken and flank steak overnight in it.

• 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 8 cloves of garlic minced
  • 4 tsp tamari (can use soy, I use tamari as its lower carb)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 cup fresh minced cilantro
Also cut up a ton of candy onions, poblano peppers, bell peppers for those who don't like any spice and some jalapenos
ready to cook.jpg

Fathead dough for the empanadas

• 3 cups mozzarella with
  • 2 oz. cream cheese, melted in microwave with the mozzarella for about 2 1/ 2 minutes and stirred together.
  • Fold in 1 1/2 cups almond flour , 2 eggs , tsp white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Once it is pretty well mixed get your hands oily and knead.
roll out thin and cut out circles to stuff. I just stuffed these with a mix of chorizo and sharp cheddar. I rushed these a bit so they didn't all look picture perfect but they taste great. Bake at 375 F until browned a bit.

empanadas ready to bake.jpg

Little more prep work making cheddar shells. Super simple process. Parchment paper on a pan. Make circular piles of shredded cheddar and bake at 400F until the edges are nice and brown. Pull and cool. I keep two pans going and cranked off 10 of these.

cheese shells .jpg

Getting stared on the cooking. Got the onions and bell peppers going. I am keeping all the veggies separate as I will be giving some to people who aren't into spice at all.

onions and bell peppers cooking.jpg

Poblanos hit the heat.

poblanos cooking.jpg

Here are the veggies finished off. I cooked all of these in avocado oil nice and hot. In my opinion it is a superior high heat oil for the griddle.
veggies cooked.jpg

jalapenos cooked.jpg

Apparently the heat made me go temporarily brain dead and I didn't catch any pics of the chicken or steak on the griddle. Here is the start of my keto refried beans. This is my second attempt at these this year. The first time was very blah, this time I nailed it. I first softened up 3 cups of dry black soy bean in the instant pot. I run them about 35 minutes on manual and did a natural release. I saved some of the bean juice and reduced it on the griddle in a pan while I was cooking the veggies. I added some garlic and cumin to it. Now to bring it all together on the griddle. First up is some chorizo.
chorizo on griddle.jpg

Moving the chorizo to the side I added a few nice big scoops of bacon grease to the griddle to cook the beans in.

beans on griddle.jpg

I tossed the beans and chorizo together on the griddle and chopped them quite a bit with my spatula. After that I used a ricer to mash them out on the griddle. Finally I put them in a pot on the griddle and added in the bean juice. Stirred some and then mashed more with the ricer. I left them a little chunky instead of finishing by pureeing with the blender. I like them a little chunky. I did not get a pic of the finished pot of beans.

Here is some plated shots. First up is the appetizer. The empanadas are topped with some crema and cilantro then plated with a grilled jalapeno and a little red chili with some lime. Sauce is a quick chipotle aioli I whipped up. Just Dukes mayo, chipotle paste and some garlic and lime.

appetizer 2 .jpg

Wife just wanted chicken so I plated this up for her. Served it up tostada style with a scoop of the refried beans. Added a simple salad of shredded lettuce, tomato and guacamole with some crema and a chipotle crema sauce.
single plate 1.jpg

Here is mine. I needed to have both steak and chicken lol.

double plated 2.jpg

After eating I made up 5 to go and delivered to my brother and a friends family. All in all this was tasty and will make for good leftovers a few days this week. I wanted to make some sugar free flan but ran out of time and energy. I will make that next time. Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• beans on griddle.jpg
    beans on griddle.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 8
Wow, what a cook! The attention to detail and time that must have taken are absolutely off the charts Jeff, wonderful piece of work, huge Like! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Now we're talk'in!!!!
I would plow through either of those plates..... Nice work!!!

My god Jeff what a meal!! Your attention to detail and your creativity really shine through when you cook. If we didn’t know you, nobody would tell that was keto and I doubt there would be any complaints if a plate like that was in front of them.

Very nicely done!

Holy smoke Jeff!! Another stunningly beautiful meal buddy. Just amazing food beautifully presented and spectacularly detailed. This one isn't just out of the park, it's out of this world!! Great job.

Awed once again,
Robert

Damn. Nice job
Wow, what a cook! The attention to detail and time that must have taken are absolutely off the charts Jeff, wonderful piece of work, huge Like! RAY
Now we're talk'in!!!!
I would plow through either of those plates..... Nice work!!!
My god Jeff what a meal!! Your attention to detail and your creativity really shine through when you cook. If we didn’t know you, nobody would tell that was keto and I doubt there would be any complaints if a plate like that was in front of them.

Very nicely done!
Great looking meal!
That should be on the cover of a food magazine!
Al
An its out of the park for a great home run. Awesome post and great looking meal.

Warren
Holy smoke Jeff!! Another stunningly beautiful meal buddy. Just amazing food beautifully presented and spectacularly detailed. This one isn't just out of the park, it's out of this world!! Great job.

Awed once again,
Robert
That's a heck of a meal! Great job!

Dave
Amazing.
We make the cheese crisps often. I like your idea of keeping 2 pans going
WOW Jeff, that is one fantastic looking meal brother!

Like some have said way outa the park on this one....

Could eat all of it, easily.

BIG LIKE!

John
Very nice meal Jeff. Looks beautiful
Thanks for the likes and compliments. This was definitely a winner. We’ve enjoyed the leftovers a few times already!! The Keto refried beans are a homerun. The first time I attempted those they were garbage.

Really nice! I'm impressed on the Keto changes,and how great they look...JJ

I miss so much when work keeps me out of the forums.
I miss fantastic meals like this, And that's just a crying shame.

jcam222 jcam222
You sir have some mad skills in the kitchen and with plating pics.
Thanks Chile, I used to see your frequent pics and the plating always blew me away. I knew the food I was turning out was delcious but my plates didn’t reflect it at all. It’s been a constant hobby now for the last year. Appreciate the compliments for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky