Chile lime fajitas and charro beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When you find the time/setting please let us know. I want to get some of these soy beans

Will do.
You know I may just go 95 min and see what happens. Worse case they all become refried beans I vac seal hahaha.

Reactions: clifish
nothing wrong with that!
Will do.
You know I may just go 95 min and see what happens. Worse case they all become refried beans I vac seal hahaha.
I made the perfect bean today to use in baked beans and other recipes. I soaked over night, rinced and added some spices, ham chucks and covered in water. Brought to a simmer. Started checking at the hour mark and shorttly after that they where bite through. I removed from the water to stop cooking.

Reactions: jcam222
nothing wrong with that!
I made the perfect bean today to use in baked beans and other recipes. I soaked over night, rinced and added some spices, ham chucks and covered in water. Brought to a simmer. Started checking at the hour mark and shorttly after that they where bite through. I removed from the water to stop cooking.

So I did a pot last night no soaking, just straight from dry, and had MUCH better texture. In Insant Pot 95 minutes high pressure, they sat 45 min after timer went off because I was busy doing other things and thats when I got back to them.

These could be easily mashed with a spoon and texture in mouth easily mashed. In Instant
2.5 dry cups black soy beans, 5 cups water, 1 pound bacon, and stuff for charro beans.
All my veggies disintegrated but the flavors where there and that's what I care about vs chunks and flavor.

I think next attempt will be 120min (2hrs) to see what happens to the texture. I would like to know what the limits are. These black soybeans seem to be heartier than most other types of beans due to the high protein content and stronger skins so it makes sense that they would need more cooking and hold together more firmly.

I'm hoping that my 120min experiment just about makes them refried mush all on it's own but maybe thats a 150min task, we'll see soon.
Why???
Saves time and effort having to mash as I refry them in the pan by hand, also can more quickly get me into bean dip territory with fewer steps and effort if I figure this out :D

I'm shooting for max efficiency (minimal time and effort) plus max flavor :)

So I did a pot last night no soaking, just straight from dry, and had MUCH better texture. In Insant Pot 95 minutes high pressure, they sat 45 min after timer went off because I was busy doing other things and thats when I got back to them.

These could be easily mashed with a spoon and texture in mouth easily mashed. In Instant
2.5 dry cups black soy beans, 5 cups water, 1 pound bacon, and stuff for charro beans.
All my veggies disintegrated but the flavors where there and that's what I care about vs chunks and flavor.

I think next attempt will be 120min (2hrs) to see what happens to the texture. I would like to know what the limits are. These black soybeans seem to be heartier than most other types of beans due to the high protein content and stronger skins so it makes sense that they would need more cooking and hold together more firmly.

I'm hoping that my 120min experiment just about makes them refried mush all on it's own but maybe thats a 150min task, we'll see soon.
Why???
Saves time and effort having to mash as I refry them in the pan by hand, also can more quickly get me into bean dip territory with fewer steps and effort if I figure this out :D

Good info as I need to perfect the dry beans to bring cost down on the baked as I’m now selling them to a restaurant. If you are going to do the entire charro recipe in the instant pot maybe do the beans first and then add veggies and stuff towards the end after first pressure release?

Why???

how would the canned beans hold up to making baked beans? Would they be too mushy?

Good info as I need to perfect the dry beans to bring cost down on the baked as I’m now selling them to a restaurant. If you are going to do the entire charro recipe in the instant pot maybe do the beans first and then add veggies and stuff towards the end after first pressure release?

I'll keep the bean time and texture info coming on the Instant Pot cooking. If doing for a restaurant you would likely want to use a large more conventional pressure cooker and that should work fine.

For the veggies in my yeah I agree. I knew there was a strong chance the veggies would get obliterated into the liquid but I was fine with it because the flavor would be there.
To make full a la charra or charro beans I would do the beans, seaosning, onion, and bacon seperately then after they were done I would "stew" cook the diced veggies in and that would give exactly what people would expect. Flavors should be fine because we/I do this kind of stuff with canned beans and they come out fantastic so it's just the same concept :)

how would the canned beans hold up to making baked beans? Would they be too mushy?

I assume very well, I think that is what jcam222 jcam222 is doing for his beans in this post.
I have never bought the canned black soy beans so I can't tell you first hand. Reading other peoples accounts it sounds like they are about normal canned bean texture and if so then you just dump out of the cans and start turning them into baked beans on the stove and they would be ready pretty quickly. Just as if you bought a plain bean in a can and did the same :)

I'll keep the bean time and texture info coming on the Instant Pot cooking. If doing for a restaurant you would likely want to use a large more conventional pressure cooker and that should work fine.

For the veggies in my yeah I agree. I knew there was a strong chance the veggies would get obliterated into the liquid but I was fine with it because the flavor would be there.
To make full a la charra or charro beans I would do the beans, seaosning, onion, and bacon seperately then after they were done I would "stew" cook the diced veggies in and that would give exactly what people would expect. Flavors should be fine because we/I do this kind of stuff with canned beans and they come out fantastic so it's just the same concept :)

I assume very well, I think that is what jcam222 jcam222 is doing for his beans in this post.
I have never bought the canned black soy beans so I can't tell you first hand. Reading other peoples accounts it sounds like they are about normal canned bean texture and if so then you just dump out of the cans and start turning them into baked beans on the stove and they would be ready pretty quickly. Just as if you bought a plain bean in a can and did the same :)
Thanks just put a 12 pack in my Amazon cart, I would like to make a keto baked beans and maybe refiried beans.

I’ve made easily 20+ hotel pans of my cowboy baked beans with the canned with no issues. Keep in mine that’s in a smoker with temps between 250-300. Oven would be fine too. You would NOT want to use them in a pressure cooker.

I’ve made easily 20+ hotel pans of my cowboy baked beans with the canned with no issues. Keep in mine that’s in a smoker with temps between 250-300. Oven would be fine too. You would NOT want to use them in a pressure cooker.
do you have a write up on those cowboy backed beans? Would love to try it.

do you have a write up on those cowboy backed beans? Would love to try it.

• Love

Well I did another pot tonight 2.5 cups dry beans no soaking (right into the pot) 5 cups water, charro style but this time I used about 2 pounds of smoked turkey wings instead of 1 pound of bacon.
I went 120 min on the Instant Pot and discovered that is as high as it will go on time haha. Pressure was on max for the Instant Pot. It sat for 54minutes on low warm after it finished as I was working and that's when I got to it.

Beans were the most tender of all attempts but honestly not like they were much more tender than the 90min test. That being said I personally will be doing 120 minutes no matter what.
Sad to say, it did not give me automatic refried beans or anything close to it BUT these will mash easily.
I'm thinking that these black soybeans are just so different and so sturdy that that will not melt down on their own like a pinto bean would. No biggy though, at 120min I'm confident they will mash easy... in a soybean way not a creamy pinto bean way. A blender, food processor, or an immersion blender will have no problems turning these into a smooth mashed consistency at 120minutes.

I also chopped my onions and jalapenos bigger and used some pico that was chopped bigger and veggies did not completely melt away at all.

Smoked turkey wings were fall off the bone at the touch haha. The flavor from the turkey wings is fantastic BUT you will be dealing with Turkey fat/oil from the skin which taste a quite a bit different than pork fat in your beans so be aware of that. If you don't like the turkey fat flavor (more like vegetable oil flavor to me) then just put the pot in the fridge and next day skim all that fat off. Problem solved.

Ok just wanted to give you some feedback. I think you can totally start buying dry beans and saving a ton of money and know you can pressure cook them from dry, no soaking, to ready in less than 3 hours (warm up + cook time).

I hope this info helps! :)

2 T Chile Morita paste.
Going to try these with some enchilada's tomorrow. I guess I can use Chipotle sauce or I have some Chipotle powder for this. As usual I have to scale down your recipe. Love my Paprika Recipe Manger for this!

I added xanthan gum sparingly

I just got some Beef gelatin. Will try that.

I have wanted to make black soy beans such as this, but my wife has exercised her veto power. :emoji_disappointed:
Myths & Truths About Soy - The Weston A. Price Foundation (westonaprice.org)
Specifically interesting is the effects of trypsin inhibitors

I would tear up a bowl of that anyway! Fantastic looking beans!
Not much you can do about getting veto'ed and I'm guessing you can't discuss the fact that 1 pot of these beans probably isn't close to an entire diet high in trypsin inhibitors lol.

I guess you'll just have to stick to the real thing, haha :D

Man I just had a bowl for lunch and WOW soooo good. I love the extra flavor from the turkey wings. It's basically a pot of beans made using turkey stock instead of water.

I think I may make some of these beans anyway just for me and see if she will try it?

Speaking of turkey wings, I LOVE THEM!
I just did these yesterday for making these kinds of things along with the leg quarters. This was from a whole bird that was free that I parted out.
Turkey.jpg

The Mrs. requested low carb enchiladas, but Im thinking I may have enough for some beans too.

I think I may make some of these beans anyway just for me and see if she will try it?

Speaking of turkey wings, I LOVE THEM!
I just did these yesterday for making these kinds of things along with the leg quarters. This was from a whole bird that was free that I parted out.View attachment 505254
The Mrs. requested low carb enchiladas, but Im thinking I may have enough for some beans too.

Oh man that looks amazing! Also heck yeah, make yourself some and enjoy em. I bet the wife may get a whiff and just have to have a bite :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky