Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That all looks delicious, Bear!  Well done as always.  That's exactly how Mrs. Red and I do twice baked taters, except we usually add some chopped chives or green onions as well to the mashed mixture.

Red
Thanks Red !!!

Neither one of us like Raw Onions, and I'm the only one who likes them fried or caramelized, so you won't find raw onions in any of my smokes.

Bear
I will definitely be doing twice backed potatoes the next time I smoke. Showed the wife the pic of them and she fell in love.
Thanks Moses!!

Sounds like you need to make them real soon!!!

Bear

Hey Beaver great job in the chicken thighs! In the foil pans you have some racks that keep those thighs up.Where/what kinda of racks are those?Keep in mind I have the 30" EMBS.Also have you tried the Bradley racks for the MBS some say they fit but at a angle.Some say you have to mod them.I wish now I would have bought the 40".But life goes on so I can live with it.Thanks Beaver-really learned a lot from your post.

Hey Beaver great job in the chicken thighs! In the foil pans you have some racks that keep those thighs up.Where/what kinda of racks are those?Keep in mind I have the 30" EMBS.Also have you tried the Bradley racks for the MBS some say they fit but at a angle.Some say you have to mod them.I wish now I would have bought the 40".But life goes on so I can live with it.Thanks Beaver-really learned a lot from your post.
Than k You Jag!!
[h1]8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate for Steam Table Pan ($3.79 Each)  I get them cheaper locally. Other web sites could be cheaper too.[/h1]
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-x...aining-grate-for-steam-table-pan/4070228.html

None of the Bradley racks I found would fit in the MES 30 or the MES 40.

Bear

Last edited:
Very helpful - did a pan of thighs and legs on Saturday - the pans advice is much apprecaited.  I marinated mine overnight in Italian dressing and then tossed them with some rib about an hour before putting them on the smoker.  They came out great - we ate about half of them for dinner on Saturday, then shredded the rest for sandwiches for the rest of the week.  Thank for the guidance!

Than k You Jag!!
[h1]8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate for Steam Table Pan ($3.79 Each)  I get them cheaper locally. Other web sites could be cheaper too.[/h1]
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-x...aining-grate-for-steam-table-pan/4070228.html

None of the Bradley racks I found would fit in the MES 30 or the MES 40.

Bear
Was looking for something like these. Thanks! Too bad I just placed a webstaurant order for something else. Oh well...a smoker's gotta do what a smoker's gotta do!

Very helpful - did a pan of thighs and legs on Saturday - the pans advice is much apprecaited.  I marinated mine overnight in Italian dressing and then tossed them with some rib about an hour before putting them on the smoker.  They came out great - we ate about half of them for dinner on Saturday, then shredded the rest for sandwiches for the rest of the week.  Thank for the guidance!
Thanks Tonka!!

Glad they worked good for you!!

Bear

nice looking spread there bear, awesome thread there, thanks dannylang
Thank You Danny!!

Glad you liked it !!

Bear

Always good deals on chicken legs and thighs around here in eastern South Dakota.Been using a lot of pepper blends that a buddy and I have made.

Even some smoked jalapeno and Trinidad scorpions that we blended with various spices.Sure am missin that sweet corn bout now!!!Looks great!

Can't ever go wrong with legs and thighs 

Gary

Always good deals on chicken legs and thighs around here in eastern South Dakota.Been using a lot of pepper blends that a buddy and I have made.

Even some smoked jalapeno and Trinidad scorpions that we blended with various spices.Sure am missin that sweet corn bout now!!!Looks great!
Thanks Callus!!!

Bear

I like smoked chicken, and the Thighs are the best.  However, I must be doing something wrong because when I do them in my MES 30 at 275 deg, (inside at 170 deg.) the skin is a little like rubber.  So I have been smoking them for 30-45 minutes then putting them on the grill offset from heat at 400 deg. or so.  Skin the gets nice and crispy which is how I like it.  I also spray them with olive oil.  Any hints on what I may be doing wrong when I do them all the way in the MES.  I keep the vent wide open.

Ches.

I like smoked chicken, and the Thighs are the best.  However, I must be doing something wrong because when I do them in my MES 30 at 275 deg, (inside at 170 deg.) the skin is a little like rubber.  So I have been smoking them for 30-45 minutes then putting them on the grill offset from heat at 400 deg. or so.  Skin the gets nice and crispy which is how I like it.  I also spray them with olive oil.  Any hints on what I may be doing wrong when I do them all the way in the MES.  I keep the vent wide open.

Ches.
This thread is hard to go by as to my final temp because of the pan problem I described, but the one below didn't have the pans blocking the heat, so I can be sure that those thighs only got 275° during the last 45 minutes. The skins were not rubbery, but not so crisp that they break easily. We like them just the way they were.

Here's the other one:

Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked)

I could guess that maybe your temp is not really 275° when you think it is. Are you using a therm like a Maverick, or are you just going by what your MES says the temp is.

If your temps were actually at 275°, and you aren't getting them as crispy as you like, throwing them on a grill like you did is a good way to do it.

Bear

Good advice from the Bear  That's what I do 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky