Chicken stock to freeze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Just wanted to make some chicken stock to keep in the freezer.
Thought I would make a batch while I was doing this 12 lbs of jerky all day.
This recipe for chicken stock requires 15 lbs of raw chicken. Preferably 3 5 lb chickens in the pot. You need a 20 qt pot or so.

1. 3 nice 5 lb chickens.
  2. A 2lb package of chicken feet or wings or extra necks and backs.
  3. 3 big yellow onions cut into quarters.
  4. 3 big parsnips cut in 2 lengthwise
  5. 4 big carrots cut lengthwise. No need to Peel anything.
  6. A nice garlic bulb cut in half and not peeled
  7. A good 20 sprigs of parsley with stems whole
  8. A dozen sprigs of thyme leaves and stems.
  9. Optional 8 or 10 sprigs of dill.
  10. 2 tsp peppercorns whole
  11. 2 Tbs kosher salt
  12. 4 stalks celery with leaves cut into 3rd's.
  13. 7 Qts of water.
  14. 3 bay leaves.

Reactions: daveomak
Here is a few pics..
You just bring to a boil and simmer 4 to 5 hours.
You strain it all at the end and separate into a couple pots to cool overnight and get the fat off the next day. Warm it up a bit and portion it into your freezer containers.
IMG_20180114_171922.jpg
IMG_20180114_165710.jpg
IMG_20180114_171957.jpg
IMG_20180114_172935.jpg
IMG_20180114_172942.jpg
IMG_20180114_183431.jpg
IMG_20180114_184112.jpg

So you do just toss all that stuff out at the end. The chicken will not be any good for anything . Just mush!
Don't be cheap! The chicken cost .79¢ a lb .
About $12 for the 3 . I hope to get 6 qts of great homemade stock. You can't buy this stuff.
Thanks for looking.
Back to cooking!

Edited: I got 10 qts.

Last edited:
WAIT A MINUTE !!!! When I do that, I eat the chicken, as is, on crackers in front of the idiot tube... Or in the middle of the night when I awaken just thinking about how good it's gonna be... but then, I AM a little weird... but you knew that..

Lol..

I forgot.. you can skim the top a few times while it slowly simmers . But you really don't have to. It just looks better if you skim the skim off a few times.

Skim the (skum)*

Last edited:
Looks delicious. I’m in Dave’s camp tho on the chicken mush. It turns in to deviled yard bird. Similar to any canned chicken. Underwoods, Betty Sue, Hormel...
The hound gets the skin. I get the rest on a Ritz with a dash of Tabasco.
Like! B

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I never bothered to save any. Cuz dog isn't supposed to get much onion and garlic infused stuff . It's tiny. I just don't tell my older relatives that I toss it.. hopefully they don't ask.. then make a fuss I wasted all that chicken. Lol

That's why I wait till it's .79¢ a lb

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
IMG_20180116_210655.jpg
IMG_20180116_210842.jpg
IMG_20180116_211145.jpg
IMG_20180116_211748.jpg

Then, You get busy removing the fat off the top.

You can choose to use a bit of cheesecloth in a fine sieve to remove the fine bits of matter after heating to liquid.
This jelly I will heat and ladle into the containers for freezing.

Edit: phone spelt sieve wrong .. dang!

Last edited:
My mom taught me to make chicken stock, very similar to yours but not as big a batch. Our version is chicken, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns. She would toss in one or two cloves but I don't. I've added parsnips, but if there's too much it makes the stock taste sweet. Sometimes I add a dried mild pepper like a guajillo, and of course dried hot peppers are always an option. You can always turn Asian with ginger.

And yes, it becomes jello. Not many people know there is such a thing as meat jello. I just made a stock from smoked hocks, chilled to gel, which became the base for a split pea soup.

In this season, my garage shelf is my freezer.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
It's 7 qts of water in this recipe.
I got 10 qts of stock back. Lol
Good investment.. it's meat and vegetables liquids you get I guess.. Tastes great!

My mom taught me to make chicken stock, very similar to yours but not as big a batch. Our version is chicken, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns. She would toss in one or two cloves but I don't. I've added parsnips, but if there's too much it makes the stock taste sweet. Sometimes I add a dried mild pepper like a guajillo, and of course dried hot peppers are always an option. You can always turn Asian with ginger.

And yes, it becomes jello. Not many people know there is such a thing as meat jello. I just made a stock from smoked hocks, chilled to gel, which became the base for a split pea soup.

In this season, my garage shelf is my freezer.

We always used leftovers for soup and added veggies and herbs to bones and water. Then leftover chicken cut up. My mom never made stock. She used water and bullion or chicken broth from the can. Lol

That has to taste good. I need to try this.

Ever try it with beef?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky