1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken Parmesan on the kettle

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by gmc2003, Jul 31, 2018.

1. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Well this may be kind of a boring/bland post after seeing so many great meals added to the site this week. But in my quest to eliminate the use of oil to fry foods. I wanted to give this a try and see how it compares.

First the fix'ens: parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, onion and gralic powder, salt, pepper, two eggs, Prego marinara sauce, Panko bread crumbs and some weber garlic seasoning.

DSC00739.JPG

Before my hands got all chickeny I decided to grate up the parmesan.
    DSC00740.JPG

...and slice up the mozzarella.
    DSC00742.JPG

Instead of seasoning the flour. I seasoned the chicken prior to the dredging.
    DSC00741.JPG

Fired up the Kettle/Vortex combo with a chunk of hickory.
    DSC00743.JPG

After seasoning and dredging the chicken in flour. They got an egg bath and coated with the panko bread crumbs with some parmesan cheese mixed in. Then onto the grill.
    DSC00744.JPG
    Time is right to quench my thirst.
    DSC00745.JPG

...and give the main attraction a little flip over.
    DSC00746.JPG
    Add a little sauce to the mixture. I don't like my parmesan chicken swimming in sauce so I just coated oneside.
    DSC00747.JPG

Then sprinkled the parmesan cheese over. Heck you can't have chicken parmesan without the parmesan.
    DSC00748.JPG

And finally a couple of slices of mozzarella to each.
    DSC00749.JPG
    This dish cools off rather quickly so no plated shots. Sorry about that.
    DSC00750.JPG

Overall this was a hit. I don't think I'll be frying the chicken in oil anymore. It was just as crispy and tasty as our traditional method. Thanks for looking. Oh, I almost forgot to mention. It took about 1/2hr to 45 minutes to cook from start-to-finish on the grill. Thanks for giving it a peak.

Chris

2. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Awesome Chris!
    You just have to love that vortex!
    How could something so simple make such a big difference in cooking times & temps!
    Al

3. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice Chris.
    simple and delicious.

I wonder if I'd miss the flavor of the olive oil that'd normally be fried in?

4. cooker613

cooker613 Meat Mopper

Proves that anything that’s fried, baked, or roasted tastes better from the grill!
    And
    Did you cook them with the lid off or on?

5. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Man that looks great Chris! Simple and quick. Will have to add this to my list of things to try out.

Thanks!

6. gmc2003

Thanks Al for the like and kind words. The Vortex has opened up a lot of new doors into the Q'ing world.

Thanks for the read Chile, Although I don't use Olive oil(vegetable here) I don't think you would given that I heavily season the chicken itself and not the flour.

Chris

7. gmc2003

Thanks for the response and like Cooker. I may not go as far as to say anything, but it's pretty darn close. With the Vortex the lid is always on. The premise is that the heat goes straight up and then follows the lid shape down to the grates. Once you remove the lid you basically stop the cooking process. Except for carryover.

It's very quick, simple, and tasty. Clean-up is also a snap, since I use gallon sized zip locks for the dredging of flour and the panko. Thanks SmokinVOlfan for the like and read - appreciate them.

Chris

8. gmc2003

Thanks for the like Chile appreciate it.

Chris

9. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yum! Now I want chicken parm!

10. petehalsted

petehalsted Smoking Fanatic

I fried chicken breast for dinner last night, I tried to convince my wife to let me use Italian breadcrumbs and do them on the grill but she wanted Fried Chicken, Mashed Taters, and Gravy. I ain't one to turn down a chance at gravy, but cooking at MIL, using what passes for an electric stove and cookware, and all, 10 inches of clear counter space, I do my dangest to cook every meal outside. But boss won last night, took me 3 batches in the biggest skillet I could find in the cupboards. I will show her your pics and try to sell her on the grill next time!

11. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Chris I already used the fried Chicken you did an this is another for me todo Points
    Thanks for the great post.
    Richie

12. Man, that looks good! Making me hungry.

13. RiversideSm0ker

RiversideSm0ker Master of the Pit

Looks great. Man I love a good chicken parm. I would have put that on sandwiches for sure.

George

14. RiversideSm0ker

RiversideSm0ker Master of the Pit

Chris,

Do you find that the vortex attachment is doing some nasty damage to the center of your cooking grate? It just seems like that intense heat would do some damage to the cooking grate. When my gas grill finally gives out I have decided that I am going to replace it with a Weber kettle. No more gas for me once this is done. This is one of the upgrades that intrigues me. I like the potential but I'm worried that the intense heat would do some hurt to the grate. I do see some of those grates with the center that removes. I guess that would be a great solution to eliminate the damage. Just curious?

George

15. zippy12

zippy12 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Chris

You got me on this one!!! thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

No words spoken during this meal!

HalfSmoked, gmc2003 and chilerelleno like this.
  16. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

@zippy12
    Grand Slam!
    That looks fantastic, salivation level: 10
    Like!

I'm a big time lover of the combo, boccocini, tomato, basil, balsamic vinegar/evoo dark and some red pepper.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. gmc2003

Thanks Moto, I've been eating allot more chicken then I normally do these days. Gotta mix it up.

Pete, I know which battles to pick with my wife when it comes to cooking. You have to know when to walk away.

Thanks Richie, I got to thinking about this from you eggplant parmesan cook a few weeks back. This was a first step, next time I'll be trying it with eggplant.

Kris thanks for the like.

Thanks for the nice words and like folks I really appreciate them.

18. gmc2003

Thanks George for the read and like - appreciate them.

George, yes it will burn the plating off the grate. The gourmet grate would work perfectly with the Vortex. I have one just haven't used it yet with the vortex because I like to put a chunk of wood over the coals for a little hint of smoke flavor. As far as the plating I have used mine numerous times and the center is showing signs of decay. However since I don't use this grate for anything other the the Vortex and I don't put food in the center section I'm not overly concerned.

Chris

19. gmc2003

Great Job on that chicken Zippy. Like

Chris

20. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Man, that looks good - equal to anything that has been posted!