Chicken Mulligatawny Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Back in October when I was laid up with Covid, my wife and I started binge watching Seinfeld on Netflix. If you're familiar with the show, and especially the Soup Nazi episode, one of the soups he makes is chicken mulligatawny. Until now, I never made it before but knew it was something I would enjoy. All I really knew about it that it was an "Indian soup simmered to perfection by one of the great soup artisans of our generation." I had to wait awhile for my taste and smell to come back so there was no point in making it then. Finally had the chance to make it earlier this week.

Chicken Mulligatawny Soup

2T. butter and 1T. of olive oil
2lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed of excess fat
4 large carrots
4 stalks celery
2 large onions
3 cloves of garlic
3 bay leaves
8 cups chicken stock
2 Granny smith apples peeled, cored and diced
1/2c. uncooked rice (I used basmati)
1/2c. heavy whipping cream
2Tbsp. Curry powder
1tsp. salt
1/2tsp. ground cumin
1/2tsp. turmeric
1/2tsp. thyme
1/4tsp. black pepper

Melt butter and oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat, Add chopped onions, carrots and celery and sauté until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
IMG_8184.jpg

Next, add your minced garlic and cook for another minute. Then add your spices and mix to coat. Then add your chicken and bay leaves.
IMG_8185.jpg

Add chicken broth, and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a good simmer then cover and reduce heat. Let chicken cook for approximately 20 minutes.
IMG_8186.jpg

After 20 minutes, remove the chicken thighs, and shred or dice the meat when cool to the touch. Pick out any excess fat or cartilage.
IMG_8187.jpg

Add the apples and simmer for 15 minutes. NOTE: I make soup to eat for a few days of dinner so I cook my rice separately and add it when reheating the soup. If you are planning to eat this soup the day of, you could add your rice at this step. You may have to add water or broth when reheating the next day as the rice will continue to absorb the broth.
IMG_8188.jpg

After the apples and/or rice have softened, add your chicken back to the soup. Stir in your heavy cream at this point.
IMG_8190.jpg

And here's the the chicken mulligatawny soup served the next day with rice.
IMG_8199.jpg

This was a very good soup and something I will definitely make again and add to the winter rotation. Thanks for looking.

One heck of a beautiful soup for a winter day! It’s on my list for sure. Great job Joe.

Reactions: xray
Wow Joe, that looks spectacular!! Love the combination of ingredients and I can only guess it was amazing. Hope you don't mind my friend but I am stealing this. I'll need to use turkey. With the nasty weather we have had recently that would be the perfect meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe and process!!

Robert

Thanks for posting this one Joe !! I was looking forward to it!... Looking at the list of ingredients this has got to be packed with flavor!!! Very nice! My list of soups/stews and chowders has grown by a mile today but this one is going up at the top!

Looks delicious! And yes...another added to the to do list.

Ryan

Great job, that looks incredibly delicious! Beautiful looking soup too! I’m with the crowd! Book marked for later!

Heck yeah joe. Looks delicious. Saw the pic in Travis' thread and was hoping you'd post the recipe. Added to my short listView attachment 524533

Thanks Jake! It was a pretty good bowl of soup. It makes a lot and you might have to adjust the rice for your tastes. It's much easier for us to cook the rice separately. Too bad, I didn't have any bread :emoji_laughing:

One heck of a beautiful soup for a winter day! It’s on my list for sure. Great job Joe.

Thank you Jeff, it sure hit the spot! But I tell ya, I was done with it after 3 days.

View attachment 524534
Phenomenal Joe. Looks amazing! Would never think to add apples into that but I am sure it gives it another nice level of flavor.

Thank you John. The apples lent a nice subtle sweetness to the soup. Once it was reheated you wouldn't even notice them. "You want bread!? Three Dollars!!

Wow Joe, that looks spectacular!! Love the combination of ingredients and I can only guess it was amazing. Hope you don't mind my friend but I am stealing this. I'll need to use turkey. With the nasty weather we have had recently that would be the perfect meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe and process!!

Robert

Thank you Robert, it was indeed pretty darn good. There's nothing to steal here, just shared ideas. I know you don't do chicken at your place but I think turkey would be awesome with this! Thanks again!

I'm gonna join the crowd and bookmark this one . Looks absolutely delicious.

Thank you! It is one I'd definitely make again. I might half the recipe next time because it made a lot of soup for just my wife and I.

Great looking soup Joe. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, I appreciate it.

Thanks for posting this one Joe !! I was looking forward to it!... Looking at the list of ingredients this has got to be packed with flavor!!! Very nice! My list of soups/stews and chowders has grown by a mile today but this one is going up at the top!

Thanks Travis! I have an extensive soup list as well. If I'm not making one, my wife is. We do a lot of soups this time of the year because it's too cold or too dark after work to start messing around on the grill. I hope you and the boys enjoy it if you make it.

Looks delicious! And yes...another added to the to do list.

Ryan

Thank you Ryan, I appreciate it. You could never have enough recipes at your disposal. That's my problem, too many recipes and not enough time to make all of them.

Great job, that looks incredibly delicious! Beautiful looking soup too! I’m with the crowd! Book marked for later!

Thanks! The mulligatawny had a great taste to it and everything seemed to compliment each other really well. I have it bookmarked to refer back to when I make it again.

Man that sounds good Joe. Going on my list.

Thanks Brian, hopefully you enjoy it as well. I know you do some Keto like Jeff does, so change it up and make it yours!

Thank you Jeff, it sure hit the spot! But I tell ya, I was done with it after 3 days.

We usually freeze some of our meals and soups since just the wife and I also. Makes for quick meals later on.

Ryan

Looks great! Nice write up too. Huge Seinfeld fan and like you was the first I ever of it. I simply had to try and find the recipe but this was before the internet... Low and behold it was in my MIL old Betty Crocker! Good stuff. Recipe is very similar to yours but no cream or rice tho but am aware there are many spins on this. This might be my favorite soup.

Sorry late , trying to play catchup with the power off for couple days , and intermittent off and on

Was not a big Seinfeld fan but probably seen all the shows over the years .
But always cracked up with the Soup Nazi guy. ha ha

Looks and sounds like a very flavorful soup, thanks for posting

Love the color in the final bowl

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky