Chestnuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Chestnuts $3.99 that is a great price in my area so I picked up a few pounds.
Preparing them I use a Bread Knife or a serrated edged blade.
I use a 2% salt water brine
Make a cross shape cut
100_7932.JPG
I cut an add to the pot as I go
100_7933.JPG
Bring to a boil for 30 minutes
100_7935.JPG
Drain place cut side up to roast
Oven temp 425°F approx. 8 minutes
100_7938.JPG
We tried something a little different we shelled them then roasted
100_7948.JPG
I prefer Roasting after boiling
Richie

Last edited:
Nice Richie!
Never thought about doing them myself.
Thanks for the Step-By-Step.

Sonny Thanks we ate some after peeling them they are good, just the texture isn't what we were expectin
Richie

I don't remember Dad boiling them first. Once he missed cutting one open. Made for a hell of a Bang and a mess in the oven...JJ

I don't remember Dad boiling them first. Once he missed cutting one open. Made for a hell of a Bang and a mess in the oven...JJ

JJ I have been doing this way for years. You can see how nice they open after boiling
Richie

That sounds great, Something I have not had or tried. We don't get them often up here, When I do see them I am just not thinking about it. May have to break down and try some.

When I first opened the thread I thought I'd see the cartoon of Chets nuts roasting in an open fire. Thankfully I see a great step-by-step on roasting real chestnuts. Haven't had these in years - basically forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder of Christmas past.

Point for sure.
Chris

LIKE Nice write up! Might try this. Never woulda thought about them exploding!!!

Not sure if you've tried it but the vendors at the places we go grill them. Definitely adds something and might be worth freezing your butt off for. :) I might salt the water like do for pumpkin seeds, I don't know.

That sounds great, Something I have not had or tried. We don't get them often up here, When I do see them I am just not thinking about it. May have to break down and try some.

Charlie we like them they are a little sweet,most of the stores my me have them,for $8.00 a pound.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

When I first opened the thread I thought I'd see the cartoon of Chets nuts roasting in an open fire. Thankfully I see a great step-by-step on roasting real chestnuts. Haven't had these in years - basically forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder of Christmas past.

Point for sure.
Chris

Chris Thanks it is almost x-mas you know that when you see them in the stores around Turkey Day.Thanks for the Point I appreciate it
Richie

LIKE Nice write up! Might try this. Never woulda thought about them exploding!!!

Not sure if you've tried it but the vendors at the places we go grill them. Definitely adds something and might be worth freezing your butt off for. :) I might salt the water like do for pumpkin seeds, I don't know.

Sam I did salt the water I used a 2% brine an think I could use a bit more.I though about using the kettle with the vortex just to windy. Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie
2% Brine
4 cups water
20 Grams sea salt or kosher (1 an a quarter Tablespoons)

Reactions: zwiller
Looks good . Never had them myself , bet I would like them . Great job on the nuts and points for the suit .

Looks good . Never had them myself , bet I would like them . Great job on the nuts and points for the suit .

Rich Thanks they are good Thanks for the points in my dress suit LOL
Richie

Hey Brother!!
Over in Ohio the Horse Chestnuts wear football uniforms & run around like College Kids!!

Yours look Great though. I haven't had any in years.

Bear

Sausage-chestnut turkey stuffing.

Score, boil, peel chestnuts, put to one side or vac pack. Cook bulk sausage until not pink. Drain fat. Cool. Add chectnuts. Fill cavity of turkey neck space too. Bake/smoke turkey to temp.

Best stuffing ever slathered with gravy or better yet hunters sauce.

Hey Brother!!
Over in Ohio the Horse Chestnuts wear football uniforms & run around like College Kids!!

Yours look Great though. I haven't had any in years.

Bear
Bear I have passed a few years because of price.This was a good find Thanks
Richie

Sausage-chestnut turkey stuffing.

Score, boil, peel chestnuts, put to one side or vac pack. Cook bulk sausage until not pink. Drain fat. Cool. Add chectnuts. Fill cavity of turkey neck space too. Bake/smoke turkey to temp.

Best stuffing ever slathered with gravy or better yet hunters sauce.

Thanks sounds good I have my own go to sausage stuffing recipe
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky