Cherry wood question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I am trying to perfect the color on my pork ribs which taste amazing, but have been coming out too dark in color. Now to get this out of the way straight away... I know some some will say, if they taste great who cares how they look... well, I do. I'm a perfectionist and I know what I want, and I want that competition mahogany color. Anyways... I have a Pit Boss 1100 pellet grill and have been using Lumber Jack Char Hickory pellets in both the hopper and a smoke tube (which have given me a great smoke flavor I'm happy with), and I keep hearing people say to use some cherry wood which I am happy to try. I was thinking about leaving the char hickory pellets in the hopper, and using a 50/50 mix of char hickory and cherry in the tube (cherry would be lumber jack 100% cherry).

The only issue is, more often then not I'm smoking more than one thing at the same time, usually some ribs, maybe some chicken, and almost always some tri tip...because I just love tri tip... it's one of my favorite things. That said, I know I have heard cherry is great on pork and great on chicken... but what about beef? I don't have another smoker to use for the tri tip, and while I want to try the cherry wood on the ribs to see if they help the color, I don't want to impart a flavor on the tri tip that is going to be unpleasant. Yes, I know I could just try it and see what happens, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts and experience are with it on beef before I go spend money on some cherry pellets and ruin a nice piece of tri tip.

Any thoughts from people in the know will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Chery is okay on beef but I would use post oak or white oak. For the ribs, cherry is great. Gives a nice color and a really nice soft smoke flavor.

I think you missed the point.. I'm asking about cherry because I want to try it with my ribs, but I usually have some beef in the smoker with the ribs and don't want have a negative effect on the beef.

I used Cherry on a Prime Rib a couple times, and I certainly didn't detect anything less than Awesome Flavor.

Bear

Reactions: phatbac
I love Cherry. I use it often mixed with Hickory (Lumberjack pellets) but to get that true Mahogany color Pecan is what I've used in the past. When done right I can really help get that rich brown color.

I love Cherry. I use it often mixed with Hickory (Lumberjack pellets) but to get that true Mahogany color Pecan is what I've used in the past. When done right I can really help get that rich brown color.

Good to know. Maybe I'll order a bag of 100% pecan and try that as well. Although, when I think mahogany color, I think deep red, not brown. I don't want brown.

Thanks for the input! definitely going to put an order in for some cherry and give it a try!

Yup---Cherry Pellets are OK for a Pellet Stove, however those using an AMNPS should stay away from using straight Cherry Pellets. They have a problem burning in the Amazing Tray.

Bear

Yup---Cherry Pellets are OK for a Pellet Stove, however those using an AMNPS should stay away from using straight Cherry Pellets. They have a problem burning in the Amazing Tray.

Bear

What about in a pellet tube? My plan was to stick with the char hickory pellets in the hopper as the fuel source, and do a 50/50 mix of char hickory/100% cherry in the A-maze-n tube.

What about in a pellet tube? My plan was to stick with the char hickory pellets in the hopper as the fuel source, and do a 50/50 mix of char hickory/100% cherry in the A-maze-n tube.

As far as I know Cherry works fine in the Tube, because it gets more air than in the Tray. I never tried it, but if I'm wrong somebody who uses Cherry Pellets in the Tube can correct me. I use Cherry Dust in my AMNS, without a problem.
I think the problem with Cherry Pellets is the Natural oil in the "Pitch Pockets" in the Cherry wood. It needs more air than the Tube needs.

Bear

Good to know. Maybe I'll order a bag of 100% pecan and try that as well. Although, when I think mahogany color, I think deep red, not brown. I don't want brown.

Try a little paprika in your rub. When I use certain rubs I get more "red" than others.

For good color...try a sauce of mine designed for excellent color and taste...called candy apple red..

I uploaded the recipe.. enjoy!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Attachments

• candyapplebbqsauce.txt
    443 bytes · Views: 26
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky